September 20, 2017, 05:36:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: DUE TO SPAM, THESE FORUMS ARE NOW READ ONLY UNTIL WE CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO CONTROL IT.

WELCOME to the Masque forums! There's lots to check out from our Salon forum word/picture/song games to our Blogs section for many fun posts to read. Give the General Discussion Board a look too for site updates and more! 

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost sock  (Read 112 times)
saguaro

« on: March 22, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »

I never got a chance to find out what happens to that one sock that goes into the dryer, but doesn't come out?  Where does it go, and how can I get it back?
 Roll Eyes

Each day is one day closer to being where I truly need to be.  I never realized until this very moment, how true that statement is (5/6/09)
janey

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:13:17 AM »

The fate of the mysteriously disappearing socks from washing machines has long been the study of the scientific community. Whilst the phenomena is still not fully understood the latest theory on the subject is as follows.

The shape of time/space has been variously thought of as that of a “doughnut” or a double helix and even just a common or garden circle. Now however the general consensus is leaning towards the idea that it may be “sock” shaped. This then would give socks resonance with the time/space continuum and is the basis of the newly advanced theories.

The incidence of sock disappearances increased dramatically with the advent of the automatic washing machine, the tub of which revolves on a horizontal axis. The direction of this axis in relation to coreolis force (that force caused by the spin of the earth) and the lines of magnetic flux (caused by the Earths magnetic field) appear to have a direct relationship to the likelihood of sock disappearance.

When the machine goes into spin then this action combined with those described above causes a local curvature singularity (present in black holes), which in most cases is not strong enough to be noticeable. However given the right circumstances and a quantity of socks that would enable an imbalance then it will give enough attractive force to “suck in” a sock thereby restoring the balance and weakening the singularity. This is why one sock only disappears.

As for being able to recover the lost socks, this is possible in theory but the practice is much more difficult. Within 3 minutes of the sock disappearing then the direction of spin of the drum must be reversed. That is the easy bit. You must then also reverse the direction of spin of the earth as well as the polarity of the earth’s magnetic field. You probably wouldn’t have enough time.

Surprisingly enough it is known where the socks go. They all are transported to the moon of a planet orbiting the star Alnilam (the middle star of Orion’s belt). The surface of the moon is currently buried under 12 meters of socks and as they arrive in a damp state then under the socks is another 12 meters of mould.

If you did reverse the process and try to retrieve your sock then a small miscalculation could mean that all these socks, plus mould plus moon would end up in your washing machine. And if a chain reaction where to be initiated then the entire universe could follow. This would probably cause a blockage and require an expensive repair. So probably best not to try it.

I hope this answers your question, if not please let me know and I shall try harder next time.
And of course if you have any other questions then Ask Janey is there for you.
xx
Haruhifan
Hentai-Fuelled Moderating

Hi, the comical, bisexual Asian Canuck here!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:45:38 PM »

Another nicely put answer, though I can't look at the term black holes and not think of Stephen Hawkings.  Thanks Futurama and the Simpsons! Cheesy

Just popping by in between hentai uploads...I mean, checking stuff online, right...

Take care!  Have fun!  Rock on!  Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

The Masque forum theme Christopher McCulloch