September 20, 2017, 05:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: DUE TO SPAM, THESE FORUMS ARE NOW READ ONLY UNTIL WE CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO CONTROL IT.

WELCOME to the Masque forums! There's lots to check out from our Salon forum word/picture/song games to our Blogs section for many fun posts to read. Give the General Discussion Board a look too for site updates and more! 

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the big deal anyways?  (Read 76 times)
DTM (Wet and grey)

Deep in my heart lie dark desires.....

« on: December 07, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »

Dear Janey,

What is the deal they are referring to in "What's the big deal anyways"?  Is it something worth checking into or just another internet scam site asking me to send a money order to some nice widow in Nigeria?

Sincerely,
DT (Let's make a deal) M

Your happy-go-lucky Forum Administrator here to flirt with the ladies and keep the place running semi-smoothly.  When I actually bother to appear.
janey

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:37:40 AM »

Thank you for your question fearless leader..I shall get onto it directly xx
janey

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »

The origins of Whats the big deal

The first use of this phrase was by the inhabitants of what humans call The Great Ouse River that meanders through the countryside of Cambridgeshire in Eastern England.
The coolest dudes amongst the river population were the eels. They were the fashion gurus of the river and they were particularly keen on headwear.
Of all the eels Desmond was the number one eel and was known to all and sundry as The Big D.
Desmond had a problem. All the bonnets available off the shelf he found, were boring and because of this he decided to have a competition to design a headpiece that would really make him look super cool as he slithered his stuff on the bottom of the river.
Milliners from all over the river and its tributaries enrolled to take part, as the winner would become famous and rich.
As entrants enrolled they were given a letter to identify them. As you probably know even the most intelligent river dweller can only count up to 6 (the number of legs on a shrimp) and so instead of 1,2,3 etc. there were A, B, C.
The big day arrived for the judging of the competition and the winner was entrant W, a lamprey who happened to be visiting relatives at the time and thought he would give it a go.
And so to record the event the local newspaper, the Ooze Bugle, made it th number one story of the week using the headline:-

W hats the Big D eel.

And so the phrase was born.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:27:00 AM by janey » Logged
DTM (Wet and grey)

Deep in my heart lie dark desires.....

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

Wow!  That was a very long trip for the answer.  But oh so worth it!

Not sure I will be able to retell it from memory though.

Thanks Janey!  I feel much smarter now.

Your happy-go-lucky Forum Administrator here to flirt with the ladies and keep the place running semi-smoothly.  When I actually bother to appear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

The Masque forum theme Christopher McCulloch