September 25, 2017, 01:05:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: DUE TO SPAM, THESE FORUMS ARE NOW READ ONLY UNTIL WE CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO CONTROL IT.  If you're a member wanting a forum username please contact the admin via email to ask for one and you'll be approved in that fashion, thanks.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does it happen for you?Posted by Just Prowling -- from The Portego  (Read 45 times)
admin
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »

How does it happen for you?Posted by Just Prowling on April 25, 2008 at 10:31pm
Send Message   View Discussions

I know that it comes to me at the oddest times. Formulas floating through my head just as I lay down for the night, the brain won't shut off and I stare at the ceiling in the dark interweaving and putting the pieces together. I find that if I go for it in the morning, before the coffee kicks in my fingers do the writing instead of my brain. Leaving the actual editing until much later in the day.

So how does it work for you?
Tags:

Share Twitter Facebook

▼ Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

FollowĖ Email me when people reply

Replies to This Discussion
 Permalink Reply by Sonoran Mamma on April 26, 2008 at 12:28am
Send Message
Delete I can't usually delve right into writing first thing in the morning. I may have the formulas running through me head when it hits the pillow, but I don't always rememeber first thing. Mid way through the day (or once I start talking to you) it will hit, usually when i can't take advantage of it. So I've started writing notes and sending them to myself in a quick email.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by ebonytreat pet on April 26, 2008 at 6:01pm
Send Message
Delete For me, it's a word or sometimes a picture. Often I wake in the morning and know exactly what I'm going to write when I get to the keyboard and it stays with me until I put in out there. Editing is almost an unknow for me. Generally, except for spelling, whatever I have put out is staying the way it is. Literotica rejected one of my stories because I just could not bare to chop it up in editing it to make it acceptable. I put it on my other blog and let it be read the way I wrote it. When it comes to my poetry, often my brain wont rest until I have let the words come and good grief, sometimes it's an all day writing spree....LOL.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by Sonoran Mamma on April 28, 2008 at 6:58pm
Send Message
Delete i'm just the opposite with my poetry. If I feel verse coming on, I sit and write it in one shot. If I find myself stumbling over a line, I put it away. That's how it's always been for me, 20 min max, and that's only if I have a good foundation.

I suppose my stories are the same way, either it flows or it doesn't. Luckily with a story though, I can put it away for days.

I'm getting much better at the self edit, although I'm finding going to the outside J, cis, V, Bro and now isa is helping me even more. I get a look at how the reader sees things and what's missing that I might have taken for granted because I know what's in my head, and what my intent was.

Poems though, get no editing, those are from the heart and stay as is.

I had one Lit story rejected for spelling. Ran spell check and found only 2 errors LOL. Idiots over there. Post your story up on TM ebb, it will stay just as you intended.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by Benevolent Goddess on April 29, 2008 at 4:14pm
Delete It happens in two places Ė in the car when I donít have the music up loud enough to drown out the voices or in the shower, when my body is still sluggish, but my brain is slowing gearing into a whirl and catches a thought and clings on while I stand under the spray, dumbly wishing for a pen and paper.

For me, it's a single word or phrase that repeats over and over and over in my head, with little bits adding on to either end. Slowly, a conversation builds itself, or a little bit of description of a room or a moment.

Years ago, I started carrying a tape recorder since I couldnít jot down notes in the car. It has helped the process a lot.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by Cutielady on May 1, 2008 at 7:05am
Send Message
Delete I've always wrote when the muse struck, whether it was a paragraph or three pages. I'm in a writers workshop in my home town and I've learned to take anything and begin a rush writing and develop from there. Now when ever any idea pops into my head I get spin a whole story around it. Its been very rewarding and I've written nine pages in a week. Ofcourse I'm also learning self edit through this and its a hard going process. Not my area of expertise lol.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by raven* on May 1, 2008 at 4:43pm
Send Message
Delete It happens a few different ways for me, most often when I am either falling asleep or waking up, a stray thought will come up from somewhere and I will just lie there and let the words form into sentences into ideas of how i could develop it. Other times it may be a conversation and someone may say one line, a phrase and it gets the writing juices flowing. Sometimes the stories come to me at the oddest times... I remember once had idea at party and i couldn't wait to get home to write it down. When I have writers block I usually find a pic that appeals to me and write a moment from that pic... ummm wonders if all that answered the question...

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by andone on May 1, 2008 at 9:46pm
Send Message
Delete A very good topic and here's my thoughts on the subject as far as it goes with me.Basically its a time thing if i've got time and an idea for a story hits me i'll get to it and type it up as it goes in my head basically as if i'm reading it myself.Hence why my grammer isn't this best though this prob i've had since high school and i'm picky on it somtimes with knowing i understood what i wrote while others didn't.

My main prob is the plot sometimes i'll get the genreal idea for a story but how to write it confuses me and can lead to a bit of writers block so a story eithers doesn't get written or if started put on hold.Editing to as it times a struggle with me not wanting to edit too much as i feel it could lessen the stories impact and enjoyment for those reading it.

I will say sometimes when i start a story it'll flow like a river though as i pointed out above time sometimes can restrict my time working on it.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by Nikasha on May 5, 2008 at 5:41am
Send Message
Delete I get a couple of sentences or a conversation in my head that just keeps poking at me and poking me. It pops up while I'm doing mundane things like making lunch at 7am.... or taking a shower. The shower is where I have most of my epiphanies. But that little scene will just keep poking poking poking until I get it down, and then I run with it.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by Jane Harris on May 7, 2008 at 3:29am
Send Message
Delete I sit in front of the computer and see what happens, sometimes nothing but most times ideas arrive (this is after the hours of patient painstaking research of course) and I type away. I am going to see if I can write a story or two next, as Iíve never really done that. I guess I shall use the same suck it and see method but havenít a clue whether it will be something I can do though because in my "Ask Janey" forum I feed on the questions given to me by others. We shall see.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by Mick on May 13, 2008 at 10:50pm
Send Message
Delete When I go to write a poem it happens so many different ways...I agree with mamma, it happens in one shot. but if it takes me over 15 minutes to write either its not ready and i toss it or i'll set it aside and let it "cook" some more....i usually get an idea just from something someone says or something i see. Alot of times an idea just pops in and I start to write. When I wrote the poem This Is Me, I was driving down the highway on the way back from school and it hit me so hard. I pulled over in a rest area and in 3 minutes it was written. And to me its one of my best. Sometimes I'll edit one. cause the flow and feel isnt there but most the time I'll let it stand. And time of day doesnt matter. I write more on feel then anything.... Good discussion Jay. I enjoy seeing how otheres come up with thier ideas.

► Reply to This

Upload Files

Attach File(s):

Permalink Reply by Tamin on May 18, 2008 at 10:18pm
Send Message
Delete I have two approaches for my professional writing. (1) I do the research, read through mountains of material, let it all percolate, and then start assimilating ideas into something cohesive with ample rewriting, retooling, reshaping, and editing. (2) I co-write with a colleague and the same process applies but it is, in this instance, a collaborative process that includes a communicative element that brings greater transparency to the end product. I enjoy both.

When I write creatively, the Muse is My guide. I've been known to write prolifically for days, weeks, months at a time. Conversely, I'm coming off a multi-year dry spell. No amount of effort on my part really helped produce anything of consequence.

I tend to write "all at once" - poems fall quickly and easily. Those that have been published are "as is" for the most part with no edits. Stories I tend to get the big ideas down as quickly as I can and read and reread to fill in the minutia that a reader may care about.

It has been fascinating to read how others write and edit. As with so many other things in life, there are as many ways to do it as there are people doing it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

The Masque forum theme © Christopher McCulloch