December 17, 2017, 11:58:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: DUE TO SPAM, THESE FORUMS ARE NOW READ ONLY UNTIL WE CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO CONTROL IT.  If you're a member wanting a forum username please contact the admin via email to ask for one and you'll be approved in that fashion, thanks.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite genre?  (Read 141 times)
saguaro

« on: March 22, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »

What's your favorite genre to read?  Do you find it's easy to write about it as well?

Each day is one day closer to being where I truly need to be.  I never realized until this very moment, how true that statement is (5/6/09)
marie
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »

i am quite partial to the supernatural, and i guess you can say when i write thats normally what i write about. Creatures and things of that sort.
cis
If you need help, I'm your girl

That's really very personal, isn't it?

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »

romance novels *sighs* I'm all about the romance novels. I'm on a heck of a vampire/werewolf romance novel kick right now, though. I assume that I'll get over it fairly soon as it came on quickly.

I'm also really having fun with "juvenile fantasy". Harry Potter is a serious favorite, and of course, what I've been writing for.. uh.. 6 years. I'm also reall enjoying the "Ink" series by Cornilia Funke.

~ cis
G'head, ask. Make my day.
janey

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 03:52:09 AM »

I'm with cis on the Harry Potter novels. I also love Philip Pullman and of course dear Terry Pratchett. I really like science fiction, especially Isaac Azimov and the Chung Kwo series by David Wingrove.
My favourite "hero" is Harry Flashman from the brilliant Flashman chronicals by George Macdonald Fraser. I also love the books about Captain Jack Aubrey and his friend Stephen Maturin by Patrick O'Brian. Seagoing adventures may seem a bit unusual girls reading but they where my Dads favourite books so I have the whole set and the characters and the humour are just wonderful.
Romantic novels have never featured much in my reading repetoir but the exception must be Sheakespeare which I adore.
Also worth a mention Jane Austen and Charles Dickens and the history books of Michael Wood.
Of course I don't write fiction. Everything I write is carefully researched and nothing less than the truth.
cis
If you need help, I'm your girl

That's really very personal, isn't it?

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »

Dickens bores me to sleep. Literally. I can't read him, I can't watch plays, I can barely even stay awake through the stupid Christmas story.

Janey, i have two words for you: Horatio Hornblower.

~ cis
G'head, ask. Make my day.
janey

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:25:23 AM »

Ah yes cis I have the full set of those too which were my dads.
The Happy Return, Hornblower and the Hotspur I know them all. All action stuff wheras Patrick O'Brian was more character and period.
Long time since I read one though, I might just give them another try.
As for Dickens, well I know they are not everyones cup of tea. The BBC recently did Bleak House and Oliver Twist on the TV and they where brilliant.
Just Prowling

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »

mmm. Favorite genre to read. Horror, suspense, mystery. And if we can throw in a little humor for flavoring as well. All the better.
dawn
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

. I'm on a heck of a vampire/werewolf romance novel kick right now, though.

I'm also really having fun with "juvenile fantasy". Harry Potter is a serious favorite, and of course, what I've been writing for.. uh.. 6 years.

*s* i have always been a voracious reader, and i'll read pretty much anything, but you struck a chord here with me on both counts cis. My favorite books of all time since i first read 'The Hobbit' when i was 11 is fantasy. i loved all of Harry Potter, haven't read Cornelia yet. You write novels? That is so cool!

i have been on a paranormal romance kick for about a year and have read all of Anita Blake...both the vampire hunter and faerie series, all of Christine Feehan...the witch sisters, the ghost walkers, and the Carpathians, and most recently J.R.R. Ward's Brotherhood series. yum. All of these i find to be edgy enough to hold my interest and i await each installment and read them all too quickly.

My writing... is pretty much limited to my experiences, but oh how i'd love to take on a larger challenge.

saguaro

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »

I love the paranormal romances, but haven't branched out.  Those sound like some great books to check out dawn, thanks.

But you know I have to ask you this now, don't you... what's stopping you from branching out?

Each day is one day closer to being where I truly need to be.  I never realized until this very moment, how true that statement is (5/6/09)
dawn
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 10:56:26 PM »

*s*  i'm sorry its taken me so long to respond... i just found this!

A very good question.  And the answer would be... me. i don't feel like i'm ready for that. i have to say that being here in this environment has been inspiring ~ being around writers talking about writing is a new experience. i believe i have a long way to go before i am ready to write a novel....there is much i have to learn about this craft, but i am ready to start writing something and that makes me very happy. r

i am going to be looking for an editor as you suggested. i have not done that before because i didn't want to pester anyone, but it occurred to me that offering the same in return would make me feel less of a bother.

i loved the discussion the other night.. .truly. i haven't been in a chatroom except for discussions in places i was very comfortable in for years and being able to stick my toes back in the water ...starting with truth or dare lol... has really been a pleasure. i am so happy that i was nudged back in here. *vbs*

So i want to say thanks. To GoddessMaam for creating such a wonderful place, and to you saguaro and everyone who has made me feel so welcome.
DTM (Wet and grey)

Deep in my heart lie dark desires.....

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »

My favorite genre is M/s.  Go figure?

Your happy-go-lucky Forum Administrator here to flirt with the ladies and keep the place running semi-smoothly.  When I actually bother to appear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

The Masque forum theme Christopher McCulloch