Farewell by shannon
Summary: Hermione says goodbye.
Contains DH spoilers

Categories: The Encyclopædia Characters: Hermione Granger
WIKtT Challenge: None
Content Notes: None
Contest Entry: None
Genres: Angst, General
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 296 Read: 1796 Published: 07/28/2007 Updated: 07/28/2007
Story Notes:
Contains Deathly Hallows spoilers.

1. Farewell by shannon

Farewell by shannon
Author's Notes:
Cotains DH spoilers.

Written for the livejournal community 100quills. Prompt: Angst
She had never seen the Great Hall so crowded. Hermione had to get out, needed her own time to say good-bye.

They had decided to hold one memorial service for everyone that had died in the battle. The Weasleys had, of course, held a separate private funeral for Fred as well, but so many wanted to pay their respects to the fallen that Hogwarts had seemed the best solution.

She had known on some level there would be casualties, everyone couldn’t possibly survive. She had even doubted her own survival a few times. They had been through too much, and shouldn’t have walked away from it as they did.

She walked along the row of caskets lined up near the lake, so many people she loved were gone; it didn’t seem real. Teddy would grow up without his parents. She’d never hear Fred and George completing each other’s sentences again. Colin would never take another picture, and she’d never hear Moody warning them about the constant vigilance again.

When she reached the last casket she stopped walking, her heart breaking. Severus Snape had died. A few months ago this wouldn’t have upset her at all, but today she knew he’d died precisely because he wasn’t the cold, heartless bastard they all thought he was. He died because he loved Lily Potter and was willing to give his life to protect her son, and everyone else from Voldemort. He had given more of himself than anyone ever should have and died believing the Wizarding World thought he was a death eater.

Everyone lying here was a hero, and deserved to be honored; it just saddened her that the one that had given the most, died without realizing it.

This story archived at http://themasque.net/wiktt/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=1433