Pietas – "loyalty to the highest degree … a profound love that neither life nor death can destroy." by SSHG Exchange Mod, hawthorntree
Summary: Hermione holding Severus ala La Pieta By Hawthorntree for Subtilior.
Categories: The Little Green Book, The SSHG Exchange > Summer 2010 Characters: None
WIKtT Challenge: None
Content Notes: None
Contest Entry: None
Genres: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 305 Read: 1292 Published: 07/02/2017 Updated: 07/02/2017
Story Notes:
Recipient: subtilior
Title: Pietas - "loyalty to the highest degree ... a profound love that neither life nor death can destroy."
Author/Artist: hawthorntree
Rating: G
Warnings: None
Summary/Original Prompt: Hermione holding Severus ala La Pieta

Mod Note: The images are large, so please be patient while they load.    

1. Chapter 1 by SSHG Exchange Mod

Chapter 1 by SSHG Exchange Mod

Excerpt from May 2, 2003 Daily Prophet's Arts column:

"'Phoenix Rising: A Visual Account of the Second Wizarding War' opened today amid the many commemorations of the fifth anniversary of Voldemort's defeat … Mick Aingael's sculpture, Pietas, based on the iconic photograph taken after the retrieval of Severus Snape's body from the Shrieking Shack, is one of the show's cornerstones. The life-like, non-moving sculpture is taken from the final pose of the figures in that photo. In the first phase of the photo, Hermione Granger is shown cradling the body of Severus Snape. Due to the angle and lighting, Ms. Granger seems larger than Mr. Snape; she is looking at the fallen hero with a soft, almost wistful expression with her left arm and hand extended in a gesture of both supplication and loss. Ms. Granger becomes aware of the photographer and snaps to the final fierce, defensive posture that is captured in Aingael's work. At this angle the respective sizes of Ms. Granger and Mr. Snape switch to the correct perspective and the viewer can't miss the strength and effort expended by the then 18-year-old woman to keep the fallen hero close to whatever protection she could offer. In interviews Mr. Aingael stated that he decided to use the brutal realism depicted in the photo, from Mr. Snape's bloodied neck and chest to the dirt on Ms. Granger's face, because "It was a battle. People died. People must remember. After speaking to the subjects of my work this is what suited them and that day the best." Harry Potter commissioned the sculpture and plans to donate it to the Ministry of Magic for permanent display in the MOM entry hall when 'Phoenix Rising' has finished its 12-month tour of the wizarding world."




This story archived at http://themasque.net/wiktt/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=2951