If I Forget Thee by Lev Stone
Summary: A sequel to Doors
Categories: Witchfics > La Société des Femmes Dangereuses > Lev Characters: None
WIKtT Challenge: None
Content Notes: None
Contest Entry: None
Genres: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 14435 Read: 4847 Published: 05/25/2020 Updated: 05/25/2020

1. Chapter 1 by Lev Stone

2. Chapter 2 by Lev Stone

3. Chapter 3 by Lev Stone

4. Chapter 4 by Lev Stone

5. Chapter 5 by Lev Stone

6. Chapter 6 by Lev Stone

7. Chapter 7 by Lev Stone

8. Chapter 8 by Lev Stone

9. Chapter 9 by Lev Stone

10. Chapter 10 by Lev Stone

11. Chapter 11 by Lev Stone

12. Chapter 12 by Lev Stone

13. Chapter 13 by Lev Stone

14. Chapter 14 by Lev Stone

15. Chapter 15 by Lev Stone

Chapter 1 by Lev Stone

Chapter 1

Lev Stone walked alone down the streets of Tel Aviv. I hate this damn city, he thought to himself, it's like New York, only smaller and with less Jewish people.

He was not sure what compelled him to go to Tel Aviv. Most likely it was his overwhelming desire not to be in Jerusalem on a Friday night. Jerusalem prays and Tel Aviv plays. Previous sojourns to Israel taught Lev that he did not want to pray. Besides, he had seen far too much in the past few months to believe the way the faithful expected him to believe. Leaving seemed like the right thing to do. Of course, he wasn't particularly eager to play either.

He walked along Dizengoff Street, toward the center of town. Tel Aviv had nice beaches, but this late at night swimming in the Mediterranean Sea was probably not the brightest of ideas. Briefly he flirted with the idea of going to one of the more renown nightclubs, but decided against it. He never actually enjoyed clubbing to begin with, but in the past few months every time he went to a club it brought back too many memories. And they were all too painful. Hands firmly wedged into his pockets and shoulders securely slumped, he walked up the ramp that led the to fountain in the center of town. He was not sure exactly what the fountain was called; it seemed everyone had a different name for it. But it was the one place in the city he truly liked. When the fountain was turned on, it looked like, well, truthfully it looked a really tacky explosion of color. Its nickname (The Wedding Cake) only partially described its pomposity. But there was something entrancing about it, something tranquil.

He sat down on a bench facing the fountain and stared at the water, focusing on the burst of colors. How any Muggle could possibly design something so ridiculous was beyond Lev's comprehension. An enormous fountain set in the center of town that was suspended above the main street. But according to Bill, no wizard was behind it. Lev winced. He was determined not to think about Bill. They broke up, it was over, such is life. After all, hadn't he, Lev, initiated the break-up? It was for the best, so I shouldn't feel any regret, he thought to himself.

But the wounds were still fresh. That's why Lev came to Israel. He needed a vacation. Get away of England and the magic and memories. Going home to America was out of the question. And it didn't hurt that staying in Israel would be cheap because of the recent problems.

Still, he was there alone and he wasn't having any fun. Lev turned away from the fountain and rubbed his eyes with his hands. He wished he had brought a book to read, but he promised himself that he'd take a holiday from researching ancient witches and he felt depressed enough without the added burden of an introspective novel. He silently cursed himself for not having the foresight to pack Terry Pratchett's latest.

"Hello, stranger," said a familiar voice, "How are you doing?"

Startled, Lev looked up into the smiling face of Bill Weasley.

Chapter 2 by Lev Stone

Chapter 2

It was Bill exactly as Lev remembered him. The leather jacket, the black boots (which he swore were made of dragon hide), and faded jeans. Even the white T-shirt was the same. Lev couldn't read the hieroglyphs, but it was supposedly some kind of message from the 18th Dynasty. His ponytail was a bit shorter, and the fang earring looked a little worse for wear, but that only added to his aura. And his presence made Lev's heart ache.

Lev jumped up and hugged Bill tightly. Bill laughed and returned the embrace. As Lev let go, he gave Bill a quick kiss on the cheek, and noticed the scent of alcohol on his clothes. Bill held Lev's hands in his.

"What are you doing here?" Lev asked excitedly.

Bill grinned sheepishly. "Clubbing. I do it here a lot. Egypt has no nightlife, so I come to Tel Aviv whenever I get bored. I was leaving a club when I saw you walk by. Imagine my surprise. What are you doing here? I thought you'd be in some library somewhere in London doing research."

"I needed a vacation," Lev said. "I know this country. I feel safe here."

He removed his hands from Bill's and motioned for them to sit down. He ignored Bill's arm around his shoulder and leaned forward.

There was a pregnant pause; Lev felt like crying. He had felt so lonely, but now that the one person he wanted to be with was actually here, he wanted to be alone again.

"So..." Bill said, desperately trying to start a conversation, "Do you want to go to the clubs with me? I'm a little drunk, so I may need a chaperone."

"Nah," said Lev, "I think I'm heading back to Jerusalem tonight. That's where I'm staying. I never liked Tel Aviv all that much."

"Maybe I can come with you," Bill said, "I've never seen Jerusalem."

"Really? You've never been?"

"I just come to Tel Aviv for the night and apparate back to my apartment in Cairo."

"That's pretty far."

"I've had a lot of practice," said Bill grinning devilishly.

Lev chuckled.

"So what do you say?" asked Bill, "Can I stay with you or not?"

"I don't think it's a good idea..." began Lev.

"Come on, Lev. I've never seen Jerusalem," said Bill, "I'm not for sex, just to crash in your hotel room for a night. Your room has two beds, right?"

Lev was torn. This was not what he wanted. Putting himself and Bill in a small space together just seemed like a bad idea. But Bill looked at him with those soulful eyes that Lev had never been able to refuse.

"Fine," he said. Bill smiled sweetly. Damn! He's still a charmer, thought Lev.

They sat for a while staring at the fountain. Bill remarked on its ugliness. They laughed.

"So what are we doing tomorrow?"

Lev snorted. "Nothing. Tomorrow is Saturday. The entire city is practically shut down until after sunset."

"What were you planning on doing?"

"I was going to read. Then walk around the city. Then read some more. Maybe take a nap. Then read. After dark, find a place to eat and then go back to my room for the night."

"Sounds fun," Bill remarked dryly.

"Now you know why I study ancient British witches instead of ancient Hebrew ones," Lev replied. "The buses aren't running now. We'll have to take a cab back."

"You know what this means, don't you?" said Bill.

"No, what?" said Lev, hoping that Bill changed his mind about going to Jerusalem.

"It means I'll have to stay at least another day."

Lev bit his lip.

"In fact," Bill continued, "I'll take off the entire week and go touring with you."

Lev bit so hard he nearly drew blood but found himself unable to refuse. Suddenly he wished he had gone to Paris, or Rome, or Athens, or a city he had previously deemed too romantic.

"But what about the bank?" Lev asked, "Won't they care if you take a week off?"

"Oh no," said Bill, "I just brought in a load of treasure from the tomb of King Khufufu the Insane, so no one at Gringotts will be complaining. I'll just contact one of the goblins on tomorrow..."

"Quiet!" Lev whispered. An elderly couple passed by. "Be careful here. This isn't like England or America where people hear you and pretend they don't. In this country they'll interrupt you and ask what the hell you're talking about. Just be a bit more discreet, okay."

"Okay," said Bill with a guilty grin, "But no one I've ever met here asked me a thing."

"Tricking doesn't count," said Lev a bit more savagely than he intended. Bill stopped smiling.

Lev felt a tinge of remorse; it was a low blow. He got up and pulled Bill up too. Bill had a bit of trouble maintaining his balance so Lev propped him up and supported him. Like that, they walked away from the fountain to find a cab to take them to Jerusalem.

Chapter 3 by Lev Stone

Chapter 3

The cab ride back to Jerusalem was rather uneventful, but only by wizard standards. Lev managed to convince the driver that his friend was too drunk to speak rationally. He was well aware of the inevitable, well-meaning but intrusive interrogations in Israeli cabs. Bill, on the other hand, babbled for a few minutes about flying motorcycles and magic wands. The driver laughed at him ("I, eh, think he needs to stay away from alcohol, your friend.") and spoke to Lev for most of the ride. If Bill had not been half-asleep on Lev's shoulder, he would have thought (as Lev did) that the entire conversation had moved beyond the ridiculous. Lev, the American, spoke only in Hebrew; the Israeli driver spoke only in English. Neither spoke fluently, to say the least. Both had thick accents.

Eh, what is your name?

Shmi Lev.

Lev? Ahhhhh, a good, strong Hebrew name? Who give that to you?

Abba sheli noten li.

Your father give to you?

Ken.

Who is this with you?

Hu haver sheli. Beel.

Eh, friend, but not your brother, no? You don't look like one another.

Lo. Hu lo achi. Rak haver.

So, how long for you to stay in Israel?

Ani... um... staying... l'od shavuah.

Ahhhhh, another week. Have you been here before, or is this a first time?

Garti l'sheesha hodashim leefnay shmoneh shanot.

So you must know some Israeli musica.

Ken. Ani ohev et Shlomo Artzi.

Him? He don't write songs. He write books. En-seek-lo-pedyas. Do you know what that is?

Ken, ani yodeah. Um.... Gam ani ohev et Ahinoam Nini, Ofra Haza, Dana International, David Broza, Yonatan Geffen...

Your taste, it is not good.

Ani Meetztayer.

Don't be sorry. Listen to better music.

Beseder. Todah rabah. Ahem, moneh, b'vakasha.

Lev could hardly contain his relief when the cab pulled up to his hotel and he and Bill got out. Never again will I take a cab, vowed Lev, still stung by the driver's dismissal of his musical tastes. As he got out of the cab he could taste a tension in the air that simply was not there in Tel Aviv, or anywhere else in the world.

"Ah, Jerusalem," he said quietly, "I'm definitely back."

~*~*~*~*~*~

If Lev thought that the cab ride was uncomfortable, it did not compare to what happened in the hotel room. Lev showered quickly, got dressed and climbed into bed as Bill stumbled into the bathroom, taking with him clothes he borrowed from Lev to sleep in. Not yet tired, Lev toyed with the idea of plotting out a scholarly paper on the importance of the Helga Hufflepuff in The Lay of Montrose, but decided against it. He looked in his backpack to see which books he brought with him. The first thing he pulled out was Giovanni's Room.

"I packed this book?" Lev said aloud. "What the hell was I thinking?" Quickly he stuffed the book back into his backpack and scrambled to find the weekend section of The Jerusalem Post, which he had bought that morning.

The shower stopped. Lev put the paper away and moved to turn off the light. Bill walked out, still wet, and covered only by a towel. He walked over to Lev's bed and let the towel drop. He leaned in, held Lev's face between his hands, and gently kissed his lips.

Lev's resolved quavered. A lot. He wanted to respond, but ultimately would not let himself. He pulled away and removed Bill's hands from his face.

"Come on, Bill," he said, "You promised."

Bill looked crestfallen and walked away. Lev turned to his side and pulled the covers over his head. He heard Bill stumble around getting dressed. After a few moments, he felt Bill sit down on the edge of the bed. Lev removed the blanket from over his head and sat up.

"I'm sorry," Bill said, "I'm a little drunk right now."

"It's okay," Lev replied, "You better get some sleep." He lay down again and turned off the lights. Lev knew Bill was not completely drunk. This was not the first time he had seen it. Most recently, it happened when Bill wanted to tell Lev about the move to Egypt. It was his way to avoid responsibility and dull himself to any pain. The act never fooled Lev. He knew the truth just by looking in Bill's eyes.

Bill started to stammer. He wanted to say something, but was having difficulty putting it together. Lev prepared himself. Bill sighed and did not move. Finally he spoke.

"Lev," he said, "Are you awake?"

"Yes," Lev said quietly. He sat up again and switched on the lamp.

"I want to ask you a question and I'm afraid I won't be able to ask it when I'm sober."

"Go ahead," Lev said, feeling his muscles clench.

Bill paused for a moment. "Were you unhappy with me? Was it something I did?"

Lev's heart melted. He grabbed Bill's hand, caressing the palm with his thumb. He brought the hand up to his mouth and kissed Bill's knuckles.

"No, Bill. I was very happy with you. It was nothing you did. It's just something that had to happen," he said.

"Oh," Bill murmured. He just sat there for a moment and then got up and went to his own bed. "Goodnight, Lev," he said.

"Goodnight, Bill."

Lev could not sleep that night. Hours after he extinguished the lights, he lay on his side and watched Bill's slumbering form, listening to his soft breaths - a few of which sounded eerily like sobs.

Chapter 4 by Lev Stone

Chapter 4

The next morning, neither one spoke about the previous night's incident, though the tension remained. Eye contact and conversation were kept to a minimum. Bill dressed himself in the clothes he wore the day before, but waved his wand and changed it into a new outfit. Lev had to chuckle wondering how the more observant people in the country would feel about magic usage on the Sabbath.

It was late morning by the time both of them were ready to leave the hotel.

"Where are we going?" Bill asked.

"Ba'ka," said Lev, "my neighborhood when I lived here."

"Is it far?" Bill asked.

"Not particularly," said Lev. "Though I think we can walk to pretty much anywhere in the city if we so choose."

"Well you know the way, so I'll follow you," Bill said, smiling.

Lev put his arm around Bill's shoulder and they left the room together, the previous night's tension forgotten.

They walked through the center of town and down King David Street. As they walked onto Emek Refa'im, Bill grabbed Lev by the wrist and stopped walking. Lev, feeling a bit started, prepared himself for another confrontation, but Bill let go and took out his wallet. He opened it up, removed a picture, and put it in Lev's hand.

"Here," he said, "Mum wants you to have this. I do too."

It was a picture of the entire Weasley family. But in addition to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and their seven children, there was also Harry Potter (Ginny's boyfriend), Hermione Granger (Ron's girlfriend), Penelope Clearwater (Percy's girlfriend), and Lev. Everyone in the picture waved and walked around, except Lev, who stood perfectly still, save for the occasional uncomfortable shifting of his weight from leg to leg.

"What's wrong with me?" Lev said, "My image isn't moving."

Bill grinned. "It's because you're a Muggle. He hasn't figured out yet that he can move."

Seeing a distraught look on Lev's face, he quickly added, "Don't worry, it's just a photo. He'll learn eventually."

"Thank you," said Lev, "For the photo. I've missed your family. They were always so nice to me."

"Mum blames me for the break-up," said Bill as they walked down Emek Refa'im.

"Didn't you tell her it was all my fault?" said Lev.

"I tried. She doesn't believe me," Bill said, "She misses you. I... I know she does."

Lev smiled, but there was only sadness behind the smile. They continued walking silently, passing shops, restaurants, cafes, and markets. All were closed. Lev turned onto a little path that Bill would have completely missed. They walked over train tracks and onto a small side street lined with Jerusalem stone houses. Lev pointed to a building.

"There," he said, "That's where I lived."

"It's a lovely building," said Bill.

"Yeah," replied Lev dreamily, he hadn't heard Bill.

They walked down some other roads. Lev led the way. They came across a crowd of people leaving a small building. ("They just finished praying," Lev whispered.)

They were about to walk away when Lev turned around and peered into the crowd. He gasped slightly. "Jon?" he murmured, then he called out loudly, "Jon!"

A man turned around. He did a double take, waved hard, and then jogged over to Lev and Bill. Tagging along was a boy of about four or five. Lev walked forward and hugged the man. The little boy clung to Jon's leg.

"Are you Eli?" Lev asked. The boy nodded and hid his face.

Lev motioned for Bill to come over.

"Bill," Lev said, "This is my friend Jon, my college roommate. We shared that apartment I just showed you. This is his son, Eli, whom I haven't seen since he was a baby. Jon, Eli, this is my good friend, Bill."

Bill shook hands with Jon. Eli was shy and content to remain hidden behind his father's leg.

"What are you two doing for Shabbos lunch?" Jon asked.

"Scrounge something, I guess," said Lev.

"No you won't. Come to my apartment," said Jon, "I'm hosting a big meal. Two more people won't make a difference, and we have to catch up, Lev. I haven't heard from you recently."

Lev blushed. "Things have been a bit, um, odd. But thank you for the invitation. Will your wife mind?"

"She's out of town until tomorrow. Well, come on," said Jon, walking away.

Lev started to follow, but he turned his head and saw Bill standing still, looking as scared as Eli. Lev walked toward him.

"It's okay," he said, "Mooching meals off people is common here. They don't want anyone to go hungry."

"I don't exactly fit in," said Bill.

"I'm a Muggle and your family is all wizards. I survived. You'll be okay," said Lev. "Besides, I'll be here." He grabbed Bill's hand and squeezed it for encouragement. He did not let go until several blocks later.

Chapter 5 by Lev Stone

Chapter 5

Despite his initial reticence, Eli turned out to be as personable as his father. To Lev's delight, he was also strongly opinionated about his likes and dislikes. He named off all the guests who were going to be at the lunch and then gave a personal assessment on each one.

There was one person, a man named Gil, whom he seemed to especially dislike. When Lev asked why, Eli emphatically responded, "He's a donkey!"

"Eli, that's not nice," said Jon. But when his son turned his back, Jon rolled his eyes and nodded in agreement.

They reached the apartment. Jon opened the door and Eli led Bill in. Jon held Lev back for a moment.

"Is he yours?" Jon asked with a sly smile.

"Actually he just followed me home," said Lev.

"Very funny," said Jon, "Is he?"

"Was," said Lev, "Just friends now. He's not mine anymore"

"But you came to Israel together?"

"No, actually. We both happened to be here and accidentally bumped into each other in Tel Aviv. I'm showing him around."

"Sure you are," said Jon. Lev shook his head and walked into the apartment.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The meal was a very pleasant affair. In addition to Jon, Eli, Lev, and Bill, there were three couples - Lisa and David Wolfe, Nili and Joshua Berger, and Gil and Tamar Katsav. While everyone else was quite delightful, Gil bothered Lev immediately by turning every conversation into a matter of religion and integrity.

Lev guided Bill through the pre-meal rituals and quietly explained their meanings to preemptively eliminate any discomfort. Eli took Bill's hand, led him to a seat, and motioned for Lev to sit next to him. Eli sat on Lev's other side.

For Lev, there was a strong feeling of familiarity. Years ago the weekly Sabbath meals were a part of his life. He never realized how much he missed them, the simple joy of people just getting together to talk and eat in a semi-communal atmosphere.

Because he was an old friend of Jon's, Lev was an object of curiosity for the other guests.

Lisa Wolfe began the inquisition. "What do you do?"

"I'm sort of a student. Mostly I do research on a, uh, thesis."

"Where are you studying?" Joshua Berger asked.

"At, um, Hogsmeade College. Um... in the United Kingdom."

Out of the corner of his eye, Lev saw Bill grinning, clearly amused at the fabricated answers.

"What are you writing about?" asked David Wolfe.

"My thesis is about two legendary, medieval, British demi-goddesses named Rowena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff. They were both considered to be extremely important in that era, judging from the texts I've come across. I'm trying to prove that unlike other medieval figures of the time, say Morgan LeFay or Merlin, that Rowena and Helga are actually based upon real women, possibly queens, who lived at the time as opposed to gods of a Celtic or an earlier indigenous pantheon."

Everyone looked stunned, except for Eli who continued to eat. Bill just looked impressed.

The guests' attention turned to Bill, who, with his long red hair, fang earring, and British accent, was the most exotic person there.

"And what do you do?" asked Tamar Katsav. Lev started to get nervous, afraid of how Bill would disguise his identity. He coughed a little too much.

"I work for an English bank called Gringotts. They have branches all over the world. I'm employed by the one based in Cairo."

At the mention of Cairo, Gil Katsav became very interested by Bill's life. He looked at Bill the way a cat looks at mice.

"I've never heard of Gringotts. What kind of bank is it?"

"It's a multi-national bank, but they handle exclusive clients and prefer to keep a very low profile," said Bill. Lev breathed a sigh of relief. He began to understand how the husband felt on that old American television show, Bewitched.

"And what do you do for that bank?" Gil asked.

"Well, I.... I have a degree in archeology, so I mostly deal with locating pyramids and burial sites and gathering antiquities from them," said Bill. Lev was astounded at how well Bill stretched the truth. Sometimes he forgot exactly how intelligent Bill was. Mrs. Weasley liked to boast that he was Head Boy at Hogwarts.

"Are you a tomb robber?" asked Jon playfully.

Bill smiled. "Something like that."

Gil was not finished. "I hear the tombs are cursed," he said mockingly.

"Nothing I can't handle," said Bill with a smile. Lev knew that was true.

"I prefer not to think about the pyramids," said Gil, "Instead, I prefer to think about our ancestors who were slaves and built those monstrosities. But I'd imagine that doesn't mean much to someone like you, Mr. Weasley, now does it?"

Bill flushed bright red and bit his lip. He bowed his head and stared intently at his empty plate. Lev felt an anger rise in him. Gil was still talking about something, probably preaching a sermon. Lev did not care.

"Bill finds these treasures so that everyone can enjoy them," he interrupted, the poorly restrained fury evident in his voice. "And perhaps he does not have the same lineage as you or I, Mr. Katsav, but he knows the most important things about being a mensch. You'll never see Bill humiliating anyone in public or in private. I wish I was more like him, and I think most people can say the same thing. Wouldn't you agree, Sir?"

Jon immediately changed the conversation to Torah discussion he delivered at synagogue. Everyone else jumped into the conversation.

Under his breath, Lev muttered, Ayzeh Hamor. Only two people heard him: Bill, who looked at him curiously, and Eli, who desperately tried to restrain his giggles. The new respect for Lev was evident in the child's gaze.

~*~*~*~*~*~

After lunch, and after the guests left, Jon walked over to Bill and Lev.

"I'm sorry about that," Jon said, "Gil's wife is my wife's friend. Otherwise..."

Eli bounded into the room, and grabbed Lev by the hand. "Abba," he said, "Can they stay for Havdalah?"

"You'll have to ask them that, Eli," Jon said.

"Please stay," Eli said, "I'll show you my toys."

Lev looked at Bill. "Okay," said Bill.

Eli cheered and ran to his room. Jon walked out after him in order to "see that he doesn't get into any mischief."

"What's Havdalah?" asked Bill.

"It's the ceremony that marks the end of the Sabbath. It's more intimate and quite lovely. "

"So we're staying until tonight?" Bill asked.

"Yup. Until after sunset," said Lev.

"What are we going to do until then?" Bill asked a little desperately.

"A lot more than we'd be doing in the hotel room," Lev replied.

"Lev, what did you say about Gil that made Eli laugh?"

Lev grinned. "I called him a donkey."

Bill chuckled and then went silent. After a few moments, he said, "Thank you. For sticking up for me."

Lev looked at his feet. "You're my Bill. Nobody is allowed to hurt my Bill." He looked up, winked at Bill, and then led him to another room where Eli was calling for them to join him.

Chapter 6 by Lev Stone

Chapter 6

Eli was a ball of seemingly inextinguishable energy. Lev and Bill could barely keep up with him as he ran around the apartment.

"My little monkey," sighed Jon as he watched Eli climb onto Lev's back and over his head.

Within four hours, Eli was so tired out that he fell asleep on the couch, his head in Lev's lap and feet in Bill's. Bill was also fast asleep. Jon pulled up a chair and sat next to them.

"I'll let him nap, but not on the couch," he whispered. Jon picked up Eli and carried him to his room. Lev followed.

"Let's go outside," said Jon, "I don't want to wake Bill."

They left the house and walked through the streets of Ba'ka. Once they reached the apartment building where they once lived together, they stopped walking and sat down on a nearby bench.

"So when did you and Bill get together?" asked Jon.

"Months ago," said Lev, "In a different lifetime."

"But you're not still together?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

Lev took a deep breath. "Yes. It's over. It's been over for a while."

"May I ask why?"

"It's a whole bunch of little reasons that just added up over time. We're from different worlds, we want different things, and we're going to different places in our lives. By staying together we were only holding each other back."

"I see," said Jon, "And you both agreed to that."

"No," said Lev, "I agreed to it, he didn't. I'm glad we're able to be friends though. At the time, I thought he took the break-up really hard."

"What happened, Lev? The last time I got an e-mail from you, you were planning to go to Boston to do a year of service. Then I hear you're in England with no plans for returning. Today I meet Bill and I understand why you stayed, and then you tell me that the two of you broke up. But the way you two act around each other.... It's upsetting to think you're no longer together. So, nu, what happened?"

Lev looked down at the bench. "I was planning on going to Boston. I went to England to do some research, just for fun - on those demi-goddesses I mentioned at lunch. Also, I'd never been to England before. I met Bill through a mutual friend. We hit it off so I deferred my year of service to stay in England. I took an editing job at a small paper and some, um, night classes. Bill had been working in Egypt, but moved back to London so we could be together. He put in for a transfer to his bank's Boston branch so that we could move to America the next year.

"And then his bank threw us for a loop. Cairo wanted him back and offered him a ridiculous amount of money. He comes from family where money is always tight; he had to seriously consider it. The Boston offer couldn't compete. Then we find out Cairo wanted him immediately. I didn't want to move to Egypt, Jon. I wanted to finish what I was doing and then go home and fulfill my obligations. But I couldn't let him pass up the opportunity. He has friends in Cairo, he won't have that in Boston. And then there's my family. You remember them, yes? What they're like?"

Jon closed his eyes and nodded slowly.

"Exactly," Lev continued, "So I told him that I thought a relationship between us just couldn't work out, that he should take that job in Cairo, and I'd finish up my work in England and go to Boston by myself. A few days later I moved out of his flat, er sorry, apartment. He went to Cairo. We didn't see one another after that. Then, by chance, we met last night. He's still not over us. I don't think I am either. It just won't work out though." He breathed heavily.

Jon gently put an arm on Lev's shoulder. "You're an idiot," he said.

Lev smiled and looked up. "So what else is new?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

Jon and Lev got back to the apartment about the same time Bill woke up. It was close to sunset, and Jon wanted to wake up Eli for the third meal, eaten before Havdalah. Lev slumped over onto the couch. Bill looked up at him and smiled. Then, still half-asleep, he snuggled his head on Lev's shoulder. Lev absent-mindedly caressed his ponytail.

Jon led Eli in by the hand. Eli yawned, climbed onto the couch, and squeezed into the space between Lev and Bill. Jon brought some food in (rolls, fruit, cheese, and some cookies) and motioned for Eli to sit on his lap. Eli obliged.

After the meal, Jon started to sing a slow dirge-like tune. Lev knew it and joined in. Jon had a very nice voice. Lev did not, but they harmonized well. Eli sang at the top of his lungs. Lev sang softly so as not to disturb Bill, but he appeared to enjoy the singing. After the singing concluded, Lev whispered the translation to Bill ("The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me besides still waters....") There were some more songs, all with melancholy but beautiful tunes. Then they recited the grace after meals. Lev was surprised at how much he actually remembered.

Jon put away the food and went to pray. Eli squeezed himself back into the nook between Lev and Bill. A few minutes later, Jon returned with a glass goblet, a silver plate, an intricately shaped spice box and a braided candle. Eli got up and ran over to him. "Abba, I want to hold the candle," he shouted.

Lev tapped Bill's knee. "Time to get up," he said. They got off the couch and walked over to the table where Jon poured wine into the goblet.

"Pick me up," Eli said to Lev, who immediately obliged. Jon lit the candle in Eli's hands and began chanting. He said the blessing over the wine. Then he recited another blessing and motioned for Bill to pick up the spice box. Lev whispered, "Smell it and then pass it around." Eli wrinkled his nose from the strong smell of cloves.

Jon recited the prayer over the candle's fire and then the final blessing. He drank from the goblet and gave it to Bill, who upon tasting the wine, choked and spluttered. "Kosher wine," laughed Lev. Bill embarrassment was compounded when Eli took a sip, made an exaggerated "ahhhh!" sound, and smiled broadly. Then Jon poured the wine onto the silver plate. Lev lowered Eli down toward the table where the boy extinguished the candle in the spilt wine. Jon kissed his son and shook hands with Lev and Bill. Eli hugged them both. Lev kissed Bill on the cheek, embraced him, and wished him a good week.

"Jon, Eli, thank you very much for your hospitality," said Lev, "But I think Bill and I need to get going."

"No, you have to stay," Eli said.

"Eli, be nice," said Jon, "Lev and Bill have a lot of places to go. They're traveling all around the country."

Eli pouted. Then he said, "You'll come back, right?"

Lev got down to his knees and hugged Eli. "We'll visit again in a few days."

That was not good enough for Eli. "Wait, Lev, before you go, I want to show you something." He took Lev by the hand and dragged him toward his room.

Jon took the opportunity to talk to Bill. "This should take a few minutes," he said. Bill laughed.

Then Jon said, "I've known Lev since college. He's a great guy, but extremely dumb."

Bill looked at Jon in shock.

"Don't get me wrong," said Jon, "He's intelligent, but with certain things, he just doesn't get it. He was never in a real relationship before, you know."

"I was never in one either," said Bill.

"Lev learns through trial and error. Always has. And he's good at that. But when there's nothing wrong he has a problem. There was no mistake with you. Nothing to fail at and do better the next time. People like him, when they do something important right in the beginning, they don't know what getting it wrong feels like and that scares them. So they hav to create a reason to get it wrong."

Bill looked at Jon, "He told you that?"

"Yes," said Jon, "But he doesn't realize he did. I know him very well; we were practically brothers. I know what he's saying, even if he doesn't."

Eli led Lev back into the living room. "I showed him my stuffed Eeyore," he said proudly, "And he promised to come back soon."

They said their final good-byes and within ten minutes, Lev and Bill were finally able to leave. They walked back toward the center of town where the city just started to wake up from its Sabbath rest.

On the way back they stopped by Ben-Yehudah Street and Lev bought Bill his first falafel sandwich. "Now you're a true tourist," he laughed, and they walked back toward the hotel.

Chapter 7 by Lev Stone

Chapter 7

"Rise and shine, sleepy head," Lev whispered into Bill's ear.

"Lemme alone. I wanna sleep," said Bill, rolling over.

Lev got onto the bed and bent over the sleeping form. He gently licked Bill's earlobe and blew on it.

Bill sat up. "I'm awake," he said irritably, "That was a dirty trick."

Lev shrugged his shoulders. "I slept next to you for months. I know how hard it is to wake you up in the morning. I can't afford to play fair."

Bill looked directly into Lev's eyes and grinned. "I give you credit, you certainly knew what worked."

Lev uncomfortably turned away. "Get ready, we have to catch a bus to Haifa."

"Why so early?" asked Bill.

"Because I want to show you the Baha'i Gardens and it's not open all day. And I don't want to have to spend a night in Haifa to see it."

Bill managed to get ready very quickly and they made their way to the Central Bus Station. Shortly afterwards they were on a bus headed toward Haifa.

Because he was still tired, Bill lay his head on Lev's shoulder, though he did not fall asleep.

"Lev," he said dreamily, "Did you travel much growing up?"

"Not really," said Lev, "I never liked the idea of leaving home. How about you? I mean before Cairo."

"No, we were always too poor. When I was born, Dad was still working in a low-level Ministry position and Mum and Dad were only married for a year or so. And then Charlie came along so money was tight. When Percy came, it got worse. Then Dad got promoted to the head of his department, and it looked like there would be some more money, but Fred and George were born. Then Ron came and then Ginny. And then I went to Hogwarts, so that was another expense. And then Charlie went, and so on. I was supposed to go to Brazil once, to visit a pen friend. The trip never happened though."

"Why?" asked Lev.

"Mum and Dad didn't have enough money. I told him about that and he didn't believe me. He thought I didn't want to see him. So he sent me a cursed hat. It made my ear shrivel. I could barely hear for weeks until the curse was removed. Even Dad was getting upset."

Lev looked around to see if anyone else was listening, but everyone around them was fast asleep.

"Sometimes I think my ears never quite recovered. I look at my reflection and I think they're still a little shriveled."

"Poor baby," said Lev, kissing Bill on the crown of his head, "Your ears look perfect."

"Thank you," said Bill as he drifted into a light sleep. Lev leaned his head against Bill's, but stayed awake. He spent the ride watching the scenery go by until the bus approached the Carmel.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Jerusalem prays, Tel Aviv plays, Haifa works. Or so goes the saying. Lev had always been a bit ambiguous about Haifa. He considered it a dull city with little nightlife or character. The upper echelon lived higher up the mountain and the lower class lived near the port. It seemed to Lev that there was more Arabic and Russian than Hebrew or English, and his inability to understand frustrated him.

However, for its sheer visual marvel, Haifa held a special place in Lev's heart. There was no city in the world that he thought was as naturally beautiful. The way Haifa splayed over the Carmel reminded him of moss gathered on a stone. He felt a flush of pleasure every time he walked up the roads, and looked out into the sea.

The Baha'i Gardens was the most magnificent part of Haifa. The Baha'i buildings were wondrous and intricate, but it was the actual gardens that took Lev's breath away, the way the plants and flowers were arranged, the rocks - the subtle harmony. It was a solemn place. Even outdoors, no one spoke above a whisper.

And then there was the view. From a certain spot, one could see a full view of the port and watch the ships move in from and out toward the Mediterranean. He wanted Bill to see that, to be surrounded by the beauty. But if they did not get there early enough it would be closed to them.

Luckily the trip from the Haifa Central Station was quick and they made it to the Baha'i Gardens with time to spare. Lev led the way down the steps toward that wonderful view. A barge sailed toward the docks.

"So what do you think?" Lev asked leaning on the railing.

"It was worth waking up early," Bill answered. He put his arm around Lev's shoulders, and they watched the port for what seemed like an eternity.

~*~*~*~*~*~

After leaving the Baha'i Gardens, they headed toward the center of town. Lev was not sure why, but it seemed silly to just go to the gardens and leave the city.

When they reached the center, Bill noticed stairs that led underground.

"What's that?" he asked.

"That's the entrance to the Carmelit, the Haifa subway," said Lev, "It's kind of like an underground cable car. It makes a few stops up and down the mountain."

"Can we ride it?" Bill asked excitedly, "I've never been in one of those things."

"If you want," said Lev with a laugh, "I've never seen anyone that eager to ride a subway before."

"Well," said Bill with a shrug and a smile, "I'm my father's son."

Lev kissed him on the cheek and they descended the stairs. They rode the Carmelit several times. Bill was like a little kid with a new toy.

Finally it got late enough for Lev to leave Haifa without feeling guilty.

"Are we going back to Jerusalem?" Bill asked as the boarded a bus.

"No," said Lev, "We'd have no place to stay. I checked out of the hotel today. And my next reservation doesn't start for a few days."

"Where are we going?"

"South. Tonight we stay in a hostel. Tomorrow morning we climb Masada before dawn. Then we'll be hiking all day. That reminds me, we need to buy some bottles of water somewhere. We'll stay at one of the hotels near the Dead Sea. And then, off to Eilat."

"Did you say before dawn?"

Lev just smiled.

Chapter 8 by Lev Stone

Chapter 8

Lev woke Bill up again the next morning. It was not nearly as gently as the day before, but that was only for practical reasons. Because they were staying in a hostel, they were not the only two travelers in the same room. Nor were they the only two waking up.

"It's still dark outside," whispered Bill.

"Of course it is," said Lev, "To do it right, you need to reach the top before sunrise. It's a rite of passage."

"But why do I have to pass?" said Bill as he got dressed.

"Because," whispered Lev, "This is the desert and it's going to get very hot very quickly. Climbing Masada now and getting our hiking done before the afternoon is practical."

They checked out of the hostel together. Lev tossed Bill a bottle of suntan lotion. "You'll need it," he said, "It's going to be a long day."

They walked toward Masada together. As they approached the base of the mountain, Bill looked to his left and stopped Lev.

"There's a cable car," he said, "Why don't we take that?"

"There's always a lot of people taking it," said Lev, "Besides, it doesn't start running until well after dawn. We're climbing the Snake Path." He pointed to a barely visible path that zigzagged up the side of Masada.

"You've done this before, right?" asked Bill.

"Nope," said Lev.

Bill's jaw dropped.

"Just kidding," said Lev, "Of course I have. It's an intense, unforgettable experience."

"Why is this mountain so special?" asked Bill as they started walking along the Snake Path.

Lev's voice was distant. He was somewhere else. "Long ago it was ancient fortress of the king. When the Romans destroyed the Great Temple in Jerusalem, a group of zealots who opposed the Romans, about a thousand of them, fled here. For years the Romans unsuccessfully tried to conquer the mountain. When they finally were able to break through, they found all the zealots and their families dead. They chose to die free rather than live as slaves." His voice returned its normal tone.

In the dark, it was hard to see the path, so Bill used his wand to illuminate the way. Looking down the mountain, they saw other travelers also making their way up the Snake Path.

Lev felt exhilarated walking up the trail. Each breath cleared his lungs and his thoughts. In a strange way he felt holy. He also felt extremely close to Bill as they pulled each other along, like they were the same soul. In what seemed like no time, they reached the stairs leading to the summit of Masada.

"I'll race you to the top," said Lev.

Bill agreed.

"No magic and no cheating," said Lev.

"Alright," said Bill with a mock sigh.

"Readygo!" shouted Lev, and he ran up the stairs before Bill even realized that he was supposed to move.

Atop Masada, Bill caught up to Lev and grabbed him.

"You cheated, you cheated," puffed Bill. He tapped his empty water bottle with his wand and it filled with water. He started to chase Lev.

"Stop! Stop!" shouted Lev, "Look!" He pointed to east where the sun's first rays peeked over the horizon.

"Isn't it beautiful?" said Lev, "Listen."

At first there was quiet, but then the sound of voices became distinguishable. The singers were a group of young men who had preceded Lev and Bill up the mountain. The tune they sang was fast-paced, but hauntingly beautiful.

"What is it?" asked Bill.

"They're singing a hymn called ‘Adon Olam', which means ‘Lord of the World'," said Lev, "But the tune is from an Israeli song called ‘Sharm-E-Sheikh'."

"Sharm-E-Sheikh? That's in Egypt," said Bill.

"It's a beautiful song," said Lev, his attention competely focused on the singers.

Suddenly he felt an icy wetness on his head and back. He gasped and turned around. Bill's water bottle was empty and there was a satisfied grin on his face.

"You are so dead," said Lev, and he splashed water from his bottle on Bill.

Bill started to run. "I can refill my bottle anytime I want," he taunted.

Lev caught up to Bill and poured out the rest of his water over Bill's head. Bill refilled his bottle, but Lev grabbed it. Bill caught him in a tight embrace, nearly tackling him. Lev turned around to face Bill, still wrapped in his arms.

The air around them was different, electric. Bill and Lev were both fully drenched and breathing hard, nearly panting - their faces mere inches apart.

Lev grabbed Bill and passionately kissed him. Bill responded with the same intensity. The world around them seemed to disappear as the light of the newly risen sun enveloped only the two figures.

Lev pulled away. He looked horrified, nearly in tears. "I'm so sorry," he said, and ran away across the summit.

Bill wandered around the top of Masada and found Lev sitting in the reconstructed remains of the old synagogue. His eyes were red. He did not look up.

"I'm so sorry, Bill," he said, "I was wrong. I shouldn't have done that."

Bill sat down next to him on the stone bench. He said nothing for a while.

"I don't want to hurt you," he said finally, "And I don't want you to feel hurt. So we can forget this happened if it upsets you so much. Now, is there anything else to see, or can we take the cable car down?"

Lev shook his head. "No, we can go. It's just ruins up here. There's some more hiking we have to do at Ein Gedi. And then we'll go to the Dead Sea." There was only a dull tone in his voice.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The hike around Ein Gedi was tense. Bill and Lev hardly spoke to each other - Lev out of shame and Bill for fear of making things worse. They only briefly rested at the Ein Gedi spring before moving along through the mountains.

By the end of the hike, they were in better spirits. The trail passed by a waterfall and it was there that the two of them started to feel more comfortable in each other's presence. The sight of water pouring down the cliffs sent them into fits of giggles.

By the time they reached the Dead Sea, they were joking around like friends again. After checking into the hotel, the two of them went to the sea to swim.

The Dead Sea (or to the Israelis, "The Salt Sea") is one of those few marvels of nature with no logical purpose. Nothing can live in it, and one is best advised not to spend too much time in its waters. Swimmers do not sink no matter how hard they may try; they merely float. On one side is the colorful Israeli desert and on the other side the Mountains of Moab stand sentry in neighboring Jordan. It's the lowest point in the world and a source of immense natural resources, leading to both a thriving tourist industry and ubiquitous refinery plants. After a visitor's ears pop from the drastic atmospheric pressure change, his nose is attacked by the overwhelming smell of sulfur. And yet, despite all common sense, few pass up the chance to swim in the Dead Sea.

"Be careful," said Lev while they changed into bathing suits, "It's an amazing experience, but if you have any cuts, no matter how small, it will hurt like hell. And don't let the water get in your eyes."

Lev waded in and, after struggling to maintain balance, managed to float on the water. A man reading a newspaper drifted by him. Bill walked into the water. As soon as he was in waist deep, he clenched his teeth in pain.

"Told you," said Lev, "Don't worry, the pain will pass soon."

After spending an hour in the Dead Sea, Bill and Lev rinsed and dried themselves and headed toward the hotel. Both were physically spent and looking forward to the relaxation that they would find on the beaches of Eilat.

When they got to the hotel room, one bed greeted them. In the Jerusalem hotel and the Masada hostel, there had been separate beds. The morning's tension returned and they were not able to look each other in the eye. Lev called the hotel lobby for a cot. An hour later he called again. They went out for dinner, but when they returned the cot had still not arrived. By the time they were ready to go to sleep, there was no cot, and they resigned themselves to the knowledge that it was not coming.

"You take the bed," said Bill, "I'm tagging along with you. I'll take the floor."

Lev sat on the bed and watched Bill as he spread out a blanket and pillow on the ground, covered himself and closed his eyes. There was a sad look in his face.

Lev dragged him off the floor and onto the bed. Then he lay on top of a very surprised Bill so that they were staring face to face.

"There's one bed and two of us," said Lev, "Now either we both take the bed or we both take the floor, but neither one of us is sleeping alone tonight."

Bill looked startled, but said nothing.

Lev continued. "I don't know what's happened between us over the last few days, but something's wrong. I want us to be friends, and we need to see if this friendship can survive. The way we're headed it won't. If sleeping together and getting it out of our systems is the only way, then so be it. I trust in you, and I trust in us. But after tonight, there's nothing else but friendship, fond memories, and a really nice trip. Is this acceptable?"

Bill put his hands behind his head, looked into Lev's eyes, and said, "Yes. Just please be gentle."

Lev smiled. "Don't worry," he said, "We already swam in the Dead Sea."

Then he leaned down to kiss Bill's mouth.

Chapter 9 by Lev Stone

Chapter 9

The next morning Lev awoke to find himself holding Bill. Bill's head lay against his chest and his arms were draped around Lev's torso. At first Lev was confused, but then memories of the previous night flooded back.

Damn! It was the only thing Lev could think. Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

He heard a slight groan. Bill stirred. Maybe he'll think it was nothing, just a casual fling, thought Lev hopefully.

Bill woke up and looked into Lev's face. "Hi there," he said, smiling innocently.

Lev forced a smile back. "Hi," he said. However, all he could think was Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

~*~*~*~*~*~

That morning Lev and Bill left for Eilat. Once there, the rest of the day was spent on the beach. For the duration of the bus ride, Lev pretended he was asleep. He avoided Bill at the beach by swimming in the sea. It was successful, and he was quite relieved to find that the hotel room had two beds. However, when Bill crawled into his bed later that night, Lev found himself unable to turn him away. He felt sharp pangs of guilt afterwards, even more so when Bill, thinking Lev was asleep said, "I love you," out loud.

The majority of the next day was spent riding on a bus back from Eilat. They had to wake up early, so sleeping on the bus presented no problems. Lev checked himself back into the same Jerusalem hotel. He even got the same room.

That night Lev slept with Bill for the third time. He felt less guilty afterwards because he tried to rationalize it.

Bill knows what he's getting into, thought Lev, It will just be for this trip. I've set boundaries and that's that. I'm not responsible.

Still not convinced, he turned over trying to sleep, and was finding success until Bill said aloud, "Lev, I still love you."

This time there was no denying that Lev was awake; both of them knew it. But no one said anything.

Chapter 10 by Lev Stone

Chapter 10

The next day was spent away from Jerusalem. This time they explored the Roman ruins in Caesaria and then went north to Safed for the night, where they stayed in a hostel. Lev could not remember anything that happened until they were safely on a morning bus back to Jerusalem. He was caught in a daze of his own conflicted feelings. All he knew is that they walked around places. What they saw, he was not sure, though he felt he had seen it before.

On the bus ride back, Bill spoke softly, telling him that Safed was famous for being one of the few cities in the world in which Muggles and wizards lived side by side. Lev was not surprised; Safed was renown for being a city of mystics.

It was Friday in Jerusalem and the city prepared to shut down for the Sabbath. However, this was preceded by an hours long, last minute, city wide congestion of people trying to finish all their chores and get home. Lev wanted to make sure that everything was done with as minimal problems as possible. As soon as they got back into the city, they took a bus to Jon's house to keep their promise to Eli. He was not there, he was playing at the house of a friend from gan ("Like kindergarten," Lev told Bill.) Jon invited them for both Friday dinner and Saturday lunch. He asked Lev to bring the hallot, the braided bread used for the Sabbath.

"Buy it at the Shuk," he said. "That's the best kind. Bill, has Lev taken you to see the Old City yet?"

"No," Lev growled, "And I'm not planning on it. You know I won't go back there."

"Right," said Jon, "Sorry about that. I forgot. But he should see it. Maybe from the Tayelet. Does that sound better? How about you two do a picnic dinner up there and just come for lunch tomorrow."

Lev glared at him.

"What's the Tayelet?" Bill asked.

"It means ‘promenade'," said Jon, "But it's the most beautiful view of the city you can get. You see practically everything."

"Okay, we better get the hallah before the Shuk closes," said Lev, "We'll bring it back here before Shabbat." He practically dragged Bill out of the apartment.

First time visitors to the Shuk on Mahane Yehuda Street are often overwhelmed by what they see. There is no one word in English that adequately translates what shuk is, because the very concept does not exist in English-speaking cultures (‘market' comes closest, though ‘chaos' is most accurate.) The Shuk is an open-air market where a variety of items (mostly, but by no means limited to, foodstuffs) is sold cheaply. Those who want to cook a good meal know that the best ingredients are found in there.

However, for one unaccustomed to such a place, it is the equivalent of stumbling upon a human jungle. Walking a singe straight path is impossible. In that small market it seems believable that more than one object can, in fact, exist in the same space at the same time. Breathing takes effort. The sights, sounds, especially smells can be overwhelming. Particularly unappealing to Lev was the smell of raw, not quite dead fish. That was the reason he tried to avoid the Shuk when he lived in Jerusalem. However, the fresh produce, the newly baked bread, the delicious falafel, and the dirt-cheap prices proved too much of a temptation. He knew the Shuk well.

To Bill though, it was a completely alien, even scary world. He grabbed Lev's arm and would not loosen his grip.

"I've never seen anything like this," he said, "Not even Diagon Alley. Please don't make me let go."

Lev promised to keep Bill with him at all times. They bought the essentials they needed, the hallot for Jon, pita, humus, fruit, vegetables, and some assorted treats for their own picnic on the Tayelet. Afterwards, they both had a falafel before leaving. As they tried to board the bus, Bill was practically thrown out of the way by an old woman whose arms were laden with packages. She muttered a false apology.

"You have to be know how to board a bus," said Lev, "If you're not aggressive, you'll be trampled."

~*~*~*~*~*~

En route to the Tayelet, they dropped off the hallah at Jon's apartment, saying a quick hello to Eli. He seemed very tired and uninterested as his father got him ready for synagogue services.

It took about ten minutes or to walk to the Tayelet. Already traffic had started to slow down for the weekend.

"We're almost there," said Lev with a smile.

The Tayelet is a stone walkway raised above a grassy knoll. In Lev's opinion, it is the most beautiful place in Jerusalem. He loved looking out at the city. Picnickers and other assorted visitors came to the Tayelet in droves. Lev was shocked to see the area was completely vacated when he and Bill arrived.

Bill whistled as the city came into sight. "What a view," he said.

"Wow," said Lev, "I've never seen this place so empty." They set up their food and ate silently.

"What are all those buildings?" Bill asked.

"Which ones?" said Lev, "There are so many of them. I don't know them all."

"You tell me which ones you know," said Bill.

The first building Lev pointed out was in the distance. "That's the Mount Scopus campus of Hebrew University, where I studied for a semester," he said, "It looks so far away from here."

Lev continued to point out buildings that he knew around the outskirts of the city. He moved inward in a spiral.

"And that one, the mosque with the gold dome, is the Dome of the Rock that sits atop the Temple Mount," he said, "Around it is the Old City. You can see the wall that surrounds it."

"Why didn't you take me to the Old City?" asked Bill.

Lev's face darkened. "I don't go there," he said.

"Why not? What's wrong with it?" asked Bill.

"I have my reasons," said Lev.

"Why won't you tell me? I want to know," said Bill.

Lev put his head in his hands. "Please drop it," he said. "I don't like to think about it."

"I wish you'd let me in," Bill grumbled under his breath.

They ate some more. Not a single person passed by.

"I can't believe that no one else has come," said Lev.

Bill grinned.

"What did you do?" asked Lev.

"I set up a few anti-Muggle protection spells around the area. Excluding you of course," said Bill, "No one is going to bother us as long as I keep them up."

"What about other wizards? What about the Israeli Ministry of Magic?" asked Lev in astonishment.

"They won't bother us," said Bill, "Wizards don't come to Jerusalem. They go to Tel Aviv or Safed. Jerusalem is off limits. There are no wizard villages in the area."

"What? Why?" said Lev.

Bill sighed. "You can't see it. No Muggle can. There's something in the air here, like a haze. It's a magic that grew out of the powerful emotions attached to this place. Wizards are afraid of it. The Israeli Ministry of Magic spends most of its time containing it so that it doesn't get past Jerusalem. It's scary. But you probably can't even feel it. I think Muggle are immune."

"I think I can feel it," said Lev indignantly, "And I don't think you know enough about me or any other Muggle to say that we don't."

That reaction caught Bill by surprise. "I didn't mean to offend you," he said, "I just thought you'd be interested."

"I thought you wanted to see the city. Obviously not. Why did you come to Jerusalem?" Lev said.

"I came because I wanted to be with you," said Bill.

Lev lay down on the grass. Bill tried to stroke his hair.

"Don't," said Lev.

Bill sighed. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Why are things so strange between us? I love you. Maybe I shouldn't say it, but I do. I want us to be together."

Lev sat up. "We can't," he said. "It's impossible."

"But why?" pleaded Bill.

"What do you mean why?" shouted Lev, "There's a hundred and eighty-two reasons why. Because I'm a Muggle and you're a wizard. Because we're both men. Because I'm going back to America and you have a job in Cairo. Because sometimes the universe just sucks like that."

"I didn't even want the damn Cairo job!" Bill shouted back. "You told me that I was taking it. You moved out of our flat! I wanted to go with you. I don't care that you're a Muggle. You get along with wizards. My family, Aaron Roth, every single wizard and witch we've encountered. Everything you've just said is an excuse."

"They're not excuses. Every single reason I've given you is valid," said Lev, angrily. "Our relationship is over and all the floating disco balls and Cass Elliot music in the world isn't going to bring it back. There's no good reason we should be together."

"Do you love me?" asked Bill.

"What does that have to do with it?" snarled Lev.

"Just answer the damn question! And be honest," said Bill.

Lev didn't say anything.

"Answer me!" Bill shouted, "I deserve that."

"Yes I still love you," said Lev, "And I always will. But that doesn't mean anything anymore."

"It means a helluva lot to me," said Bill, "I'm sorry it means nothing to you."

Lev threw something at him. "These are the keys," he said, "Give them back to me tomorrow at Jon's. I'll be staying there tonight."

He stormed off, leaving Bill, who immediately broke down. As soon as Lev knew he was out of sight, he did the same.

Chapter 11 by Lev Stone

Chapter 11

Lev wandered around Jerusalem for hours before he finally stopped at Jon's. When he left Bill it was still dusk, and Lev did not want to interrupt Jon's dinner, especially looking angry and disheveled. So he walked around, getting reacquainted with the parts of the city he used to know so well - Ba'ka, the Germany Colony, Talpiyot, Katamon, Rehavia, and the center of town.

He worried for a second that Bill would not be able to get back to the hotel, but then he remembered Bill could apparate. Getting around the city was not a problem.

As the sky darkened, Lev reflected on how safe he felt. Anywhere else in the world he was always a bit cautious walking around alone at night. But in Jerusalem, even as late as two or three in the morning, he felt completely safe, even if the only other living beings he could see were the stray cats ubiquitous to Israel.

Finally Lev felt it was late enough that he could go to Jon's apartment and not worry about disturbing the meal. He knocked on the door.

Jon answered with a surprised smile.

"Hello," he said, "What are you doing here?"

"I hate to ask this, but can I crash on your couch for the night?" said Lev.

Jon immediately shepherded him in the door. "It's no problem. Eli's already asleep. This will be quite a surprise for him tomorrow morning."

"Will your wife mind?" asked Lev.

Jon laughed. "Our shul's Sisterhood had a retreat this weekend at a kibbutz up north. She ended up going at the last minute."

"Jon, is she ever here for Shabbat?"

"Yes. But this month has been busy. You're lucky you came this week while I was here."

Lev smiled sardonically and headed toward the sofa.

"You're not taking the couch," said Jon, "You'll take the guest room."

"Thank you, Jon."

Lev sat on the couch. Jon brought over some cookies and joined him.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened?"

"We had a fight, a big one. I threw the keys at him."

"Ah," said Jon.

"Can I ask..." began Jon.

"No," said Lev, "It's been a long week, and it's my fault."

Jon said nothing.

"He asked why I never showed him the Old City."

Jon sucked in air through his teeth. "That's probably my fault. Sorry about that. That was really the wrong question," he said. "Lev, why didn't you tell him?"

"I couldn't. It led to a huge fight. We rarely fought when we were together. It just seemed like there was no tension. I don't know. I've had so many flings, why was this one different? And why am I being punished for a real relationship by having it haunt me? It was special. I would have liked to have kept my happy, untarnished memories happy and untarnished."

"Maybe you're not being punished," said Jon.

Lev shrugged. "So are you going to tell me that I'm an idiot? Go ahead. I made a mess of it all and hurt us both. I'm heartless, I deserve no sympathy or compassion."

"Sometimes when people deserve sympathy and compassion least is when they need it the most," said Jon.

Lev smiled. He wiped a couple tears from his eyes.

"So is Bill still planning on coming tomorrow?" Jon asked. "Either way will be fine by me. It would just us four."

"I told him to come," said Lev, "He needs to bring the keys so I can get to my backpack and check out on Sunday."

"Lev, don't worry. Everything's going to be alright," said Jon, "I promise. Sometimes it just takes a little longer."

"It's never easy," sighed Lev.

"I better get to sleep," said Jon, "I have to get up early tomorrow. I'm reading Torah."

"Do you know it yet?" asked Lev.

"Of course not," said Jon grinning, "I'll look it over tonight and then a few time tomorrow. I'll be fine. I think I've read this portion before. What week is it again?" He left the room.

Lev shook his head. Then he got up and headed for the guestroom. That night he dreamt that he and Bill found their happy ending.

Chapter 12 by Lev Stone

Chapter 12

Eli was very excited the next morning when he discovered Lev sleeping in the guestroom.

"Where's Bill?" he asked.

Lev was quiet for a moment. Jon gave him a sympathetic look. "He'll be here when you get back from synagogue," Lev said, wondering if that would be true or if he even wanted it to be.

"Come on, Eli. We have to go," said Jon.

"Isn't Lev going to synagogue too?" Eli asked.

"No, he has to wait for Bill," said Jon.

"L'hitraot, Lev," said Eli.

"Good Shabbos," replied Lev, and he watched the two of them walked out. He closed the door behind them.

Lev wondered what he was going to do for the next couple of hours. He looked through Jon's bookshelf to see if there was anything he might like to read. He found a book of poems by the Israeli poet Yehuda Amichai, Poems of Jerusalem and Love Poems. He read a few and cried a little, thinking about Bill and about his own personal relationship with Jerusalem. Then put the book back. He decided to read Crime and Punishment instead.

"Less depressing," he said aloud and read for a few hours. At about eleven o'clock he heard a knock on the door. He knew who it was before he answered it, and sure enough he opened the door for Bill.

"Hi," said Bill.

"Hey," replied Lev, "Come on in."

"No, I don't think I should," said Bill, "I just brought you a change of clothes and the keys. I'm going back to Cairo."

Lev pulled him in. "I promised Eli you'd be here. You can go back to Cairo later, but I'm not breaking a promise to him."

Bill walked over to the couch. "I read one of your books last night," he said.

Lev shut his eyes. He knew which one. "Giovanni's Room, right?"

"Yeah," said Bill. He paused for a moment. "Is that how it's going to end for us?"

"I don't know," said Lev. "Is either one of us getting executed?"

"Funny," deadpanned Bill, "I'm being serious."

"I'm sorry," said Lev, "I don't know, Bill. I'd like us to be friends, but maybe we need a little space. Or a lot of space. I'll be in England until August. Maybe after enough time has passed, if you come in to visit your family, we can go for coffee or something. If not, I understand. If you're ever in America, look me up."

"Sure," said Bill. His voice had no tone in it.

Lev took the clothes Bill brought him and changed in the guestroom.

When Jon and Eli came back, they discovered Lev and Bill sitting at opposite ends of the couch, neither able to look at the other.

Chapter 13 by Lev Stone

Chapter 13

Lunch was a relatively quiet affair. Eli did most of the talking. He was especially proud of the way his father read Torah at synagogue.

"He was perfect," Eli said in wide-eyed awe. Jon rolled his eyes, but beamed.

After the meal, Jon said to his son, "Eli, why don't you show Lev your toys again. I'm sure he wants to play with you."

Lev felt mildly irritated knowing that Jon was going to talk to Bill, but he was just too emotionally spent to protest. He dutifully followed Eli into his room, making sure he could not hear any part of the conversation.

"Let's go for a walk," Jon said to Bill.

They walked through the streets of Ba'ka for a while. Jon pointed out landmarks.

"I suppose you know everything," said Bill.

"No one ever knows everything," said Jon. He waited a moment. "I don't know what happened between you and Lev. He didn't say much."

"What happened to Lev in the Old City?" Bill asked.

Jon sighed. "I try not to think about it. Now it seems like it's all I can think about. It's... it's complicated."

"Did he get hurt there?" asked Bill.

"Physically no. Emotionally yes," said Jon. "It was when we lived in Jerusalem. It was me and him in Ba'ka and five other students from our school who lived across the city. We were all friends before, but because of Lev we became really tight.

"Do you know anything about Lev's family? Have you ever met them?" Jon asked.

Bill shook his head.

"They're interesting people. Very nice, but there's something a little screwy with them. Love is used like a bargaining chip. If you do what they want, they love you, and if not, then they freeze you out. They used that pressure on Lev throughout his life, and he was terrified at the thought of defying them. He was much different then. More timid, less self-assured.

"In college, he tried to break away. Israel was his chance to escape. He threw himself into the country, particularly Jerusalem. He even made plans for moving here. I've never to this day seen anyone need this place so much.

"Another problem was that he was dealing with being gay for the first time. He told me here. He had already told his family and they responded poorly. After every conversation with them he would say, ‘I'm so glad I'm moving here.' Jerusalem was a safe haven. Do you understand?"

Bill nodded.

"We loved to explore the Jewish Quarter of the Old City. It was always an adventure. Then there was a holiday, Shavuot, which came just after finals ended. We still had some time to enjoy the country. Lev planned on going to Prague and Rome.

"On Shavuot, the seven of us from school planned to meet at the Kotel, the Western Wall, and then eat lunch together. I prayed at the Wall on my own. Lev waited for me outside one of the buildings overlooking the Wall plaza. Our friends planned to meet us there. Do you know anything about the politics of the Wall?"

Bill shook his head.

"The Wall is the most sacred place to all Jews, the last remnant of the Temple. It's also a source of great contention. Who gets it? Who can pray there? Who's way is God's way? Currently, the ultra-Orthodox say what goes, and they've divided it up - a section for men and a separate, smaller section for women. Women's voices are not allowed to be heard. Men and women are forbidden to pray together. An egalitarian synagogue balked and took a stand. Everyone praying together, they marched into the plaza. They already knew what would happen.

"I was still praying at the Wall, surrounded by a sea of black coats and black hats. I only heard a little and saw nothing. The egalitarian service came. Before they could even approach the Wall, they were pelted with soda bottles, scraps of food, animal waste, even stones. No one fought back, and army guards came to protect them. Lev saw the entire thing. He ran. When our friends arrived, he never showed. We waited an hour and spent two more looking around the Jewish Quarter.

"When we found him, he was catatonic in his room. Book and papers were strewn all over, furniture was thrown around, and he was lying on his bed curled up, not moving. We had no idea what to do, so we called a hospital. Lev was there for two nights. Each of us stayed in shifts in case he awoke.

"We couldn't reach his parents. The day we did was the day he woke up. They wanted to come to Israel. He told them not to. The way he spoke to them, it was different. He was never disrespectful before. But he told them if they came he would disappear, and they would be alone in a strange country.

"He wouldn't talk about what happened, and being in Jerusalem made him intensely angry. He disappeared for a week; he said he went to a place in the desert. He refused to go to the Old City again and shuddered every time it was mentioned. His attitude changed completely; he couldn't wait to get back to America, and cancelled his trip to Europe. I guess he made peace with Jerusalem, but not with the Old City."

Bill was startled. "I never knew any of this," he said.

"I don't think anyone does," said Jon, "If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have known. None of his friends ever spoke to him about it."

"Why?" asked Bill.

"He was a different person when he returned. It was like talking to a wall."

"How was he different?" said Bill, "I don't understand."

"From the moment he came back to school the next year, it seemed like his aura had changed. Before he was shy, now he exuded self-confidence. His relationships with people changed for the worse. Outside of the few of us in Israel who knew him, he was incapable of making close friendships, or of letting people in. And people did try. He just never wanted anything to do with them. His attitudes changed too. Before, he was very afraid of putting himself on the line, particularly with sex. He wanted something deeper, but was too afraid to look. Before Israel, no one ever gave him a second glance. Now guys practically threw themselves at him, but to him they were only meaningless flings and he treated everyone with disdain. Yet guys never stopped trying."

Bill shifted uncomfortably. It suddenly made sense why Aaron Roth introduced them that night in the bar. He thought they were too alike not to meet. Bill remembered how he attracted he had been to Lev's calm self-assurance.

Jon continued. "I asked him once if there was any way he would ever get into a relationship. He laughed and said, ‘Only by magic.' I don't know what you did Bill, but it was the impossible."

Bill shrugged his shoulders. He thought about all the magic that Lev witnessed. But Lev knew wizards before Bill. Why was he different? And then he remembered the night where he danced with Lev outside the Burrow. Lev said, "It's all so magical." Bill had to fight back tears.

"I don't know what I did either," he whispered.

"Beneath that self-assuredness, he's a scared kid. He just hid it well. I saw it last week, and again last night. He's terrified of being vulnerable again and caring too much about something only to have it blow up in his face, so he's sabotaging a good thing."

"How do you know all this?" asked Bill.

"Did Lev tell you what I do?" said Jon. Bill shook his head.

"I'm a psychologist," said Jon, "I became one because of what happened with Lev. I didn't want to be helpless anymore."

"Jon," said Bill, "Which way is the Tayelet? I need to think. Alone."

Jon gave him the directions.

"Thank you," said Bill, "For everything." He walked away.

Chapter 14 by Lev Stone

Chapter 14

Lev tried to pay attention to Eli, but knowing Jon was talking to Bill really bothered him. Jon shouldn't be talking to Bill, I should be talking to Bill, he thoughtThe realization pained him.

"Lev, Lev, are you listening to me?" said Eli.

"Of course I am," said Lev, hoping that Eli was not planning to ask him any more questions.

"Who's your favorite?" asked Eli.

"Um... you are," said Lev.

"No," scowled Eli, "Who's your favorite Winnie the Pooh character?"

"Um... Eeyore?" said Lev, remembering that Eli liked Eeyore.

"Mine too," said Eli cheerfully. Then he looked up at Lev. "Are you and Bill married?"

Lev was taken aback. "No. Why do you ask?"

"You act like you're married," said Eli.

Lev felt himself turn red. "No, Eli, we're not." He stuck out his hand. "See, no wedding ring on my finger."

"Oh," said Eli, "Why aren't you married?"

About ten answers came to Lev at that particular moment and none of them suitable to give to a child.

"Do you know any boys who are married to boys?" said Lev at last.

"Yes," said Eli immediately.

"Who?" asked Lev.

"Yitzhak and Daniel," said Eli.

"Eli, who are they?"

"Sarah's dads."

"Of course they are," said Lev. He decided not to press the matter further.

"You never answered," demanded Eli, "Why aren't you and Bill married?"

"Meepnay sheh'Ani Hamor," Lev responded.

"You're not a donkey," said Eli, "You're nice."

"Some people think I act like a donkey," Lev smiled.

"Well, then don't act like one," said Eli.

Lev did not speak for a little while. That may be the best advice I've ever gotten, he thought.

"Eli, would you come to our wedding," he joked.

"Yes," said Eli. He did not even look up from his toys. The question was too mundane for him.

Lev shook his head and watched Eli play.

~*~*~*~*~*~

When Lev heard the door open, he was surprised and disappointed to see Jon walk in alone. He left Eli in his room, blissfully lost in his imaginary world.

"Where's Bill?" Lev asked, afraid he had already gone back to Cairo.

"He went to the Tayelet," said Jon.

"Did you tell him everything?" said Lev.

"Just what I knew," said Jon, "Are you angry?"

"No," said Lev, "I don't have the strength to be angry. I guess he had to find out somehow. Maybe thinking I'm a lunatic will make this disaster easier for him to digest."

"I don't think you're a lunatic," said Jon, "And I was there."

"Thank you," said Lev. "Who are Yitzhak, Daniel, and Sarah?"

Jon gave him a funny look and laughed. "Who told you about them?"

"Eli did."

"Daniel is my cousin," said Jon, "Yitzhak is his partner. Sarah is their adopted daughter. My family flew to New York about three months ago for their wedding. Lovely affair. Very good food. Eli and Sarah are about the same age."

"Oh," said Lev, "You never mentioned them before."

"They're older than us. They've been together for years. Why did Eli tell you about them?"

"Eli asked if Bill and I were getting married. I asked him if he knew any boys who married boys."

"That's my Eli," said Jon, "No hesitation to ask questions, no matter how uncomfortable they may be. He'll be a good Israeli."

Lev stared into space.

"Penny for your thoughts," said Jon.

"It must be nice to wake up next to someone you know so well. And someone who knows you," said Lev.

"There's an advantage or two," said Jon.

"Where did I go wrong, Jon? It seems like I only get something when I can't handle it."

"The best laid schemes of mice and men," said Jon.

"So what do I do?" asked Lev.

"I don't know, wish I did," said Jon. "Roll with the punches, I guess."

Lev got up. "I'll be back," he said, "I need to think."

Jon nodded and checked on Eli as the front door closed.

Chapter 15 by Lev Stone

Chapter 15

Bill walked along the Tayelet until he found a spot he liked. He leaned on the stone wall and looked out at the troubled city. Why did he come? He had only made a mess of things. For a few days he allowed himself to hope there was a way to repair his relationship, but now it seemed impossible. Even the friendship was irreparably damaged. He was not sure at whom he was angrier, Lev or himself.

He was dimly aware of the figure moving next to him, but did not look.

"I was just watching the people passing by," the figure said. Bill jumped and saw Lev standing next to him, staring at the Old City.

"Then there was this attack. I don't really know what happened, but I felt like I was seeing raw hatred. I must have hallucinated. The attackers, they turned into wild dogs and chased me. I ran through the streets of the Muslim Quarter and out the Damascus Gate. I didn't stop running until I got home. And then it dawned on me; I wanted to live side by side with these horrid people even though they hated me too. The thought infuriated me. I've never felt such rage before or since. I don't even remember what I did, I just know I saw my room trashed. The next thing I remember is waking up in an Israeli hospital, and that's not a pleasant experience. And I still felt all that rage and hatred. I needed to get out so I ran away without telling anyone. Just stayed at the Masada hostel for a week, that's all. I only got out of bed for meals. I had to force myself back to Jerusalem.

"When I got back to America, everything changed. I couldn't tolerate people anymore. I had no patience for anyone. All that mattered was making myself happy. But one day I woke up, looked at my life with disgust, and thought, ‘I need a change.' That's why I signed up to go to Boston. And that's why I'm determined to see it through.

"So I go to England to have one last good time, and I'm introduced to you. I though you were just going to be another fling, and I had fun. So much fun that I came back for more. If you hadn't been so adorable, I would have been gone before that first night was out. I knew I should have left, but I couldn't. You made me love you."

"No, I didn't," said Bill, "I would never brew a love potion."

"That's not what I meant," said Lev, looking at Bill for the first time. "I never felt for anyone what I feel for you. It started to terrify me and it still does. Because I'm afraid of what's going to happen when you leave me."

"But I didn't leave you. You left me," said Bill.

"I'm so sorry," said Lev, "Not having enough faith in you was the worst mistake I ever made, and that says a lot."

Bill put a comforting arm around him.

"You can trust me, Lev," he said, "I'd do anything to keep you from being hurt."

Lev grabbed the hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. "Are you giving me another chance?"

"I would like to," said Bill, "I want to move to Boston with you."

"But what about Cairo?" said Lev.

"I already quit," said Bill.

"What?"

"I quit the day after I met you in Tel Aviv, in the hotel while you were asleep. I don't want that job anymore. It's not fun for me and it kept reminding me of what I lost. I want to be somewhere else. Somewhere with you."

"So now what?" said Lev, tears forming in his eyes.

"Now we go back to Jon's apartment and spend the rest of the day with him and Eli. Then we go back to the hotel and sleep," he lasciviously raised an eyebrow. "Then tomorrow we check out and fly back to England where we'll stay until August. And then we go Boston - together."

"How are you getting back to England, Bill?"

Bill grinned. "I saw your ticket and I made a reservation to get on your flight."

"Very gusty, Weasley. What if I never came up here?"

"Well," said Bill, "I'd have wasted quite a few Galleons." He winked. "Before just now I thought I did."

"I really love you, you know that?" said Lev.

"Yeah, I think I do," said Bill. They leaned in to kiss each other.

An ultra-Orthodox family walked by and averted their eyes.

Bill laughed, "I guess I should have put up some protection spells."

"Nah," said Lev, "They'll get over the trauma."

Hand in hand they walked back to Jon's apartment.

<The End>

This story archived at http://themasque.net/wiktt/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=3616