- Text Size +


The land sparkled with the sun’s reflection of morning frost. But, the beauty was lost on Julian and the two guards as they traveled along the dirt road that led to the Hallows. The guards could tell that their prince was in a foul mood as they passed the fields and the bundles of straw that sat along side the road. They would glance at each other, motion towards Julian behind his back and nod their heads.

Juliana had come to him last night, informing him of what had happened in their father’s chamber. “And I’m to go to The Hallows to find this Shagrim?” he asked her, disbelief and irritation clearly audible in his voice.

“Yes brother, we are to go.” She answered calmly, smiling up at him.

Julian gave her a growl and turned his back to her, walking slowly over to the window. The Hallows lay south of the city, on the banks of the Aidast River. It was a little hamlet of a town, made up of dirt-poor peasants. After their tithes, they lived off of what little they could grow on the rocks there. How they survived was beyond Julian, but they stayed and actually prospered somewhat. There was no warrior there, he was sure of that. Yet if that’s where the king said to go, that’s where they would.

He turned on his sister and glared into those pale eyes. “You’re sure of all of this. That we must be off before the rising of the dark moon?” He asked of her, his voice almost threatening. “And you’re sure that we need this, what’s his name, Shagrim that much?”

She met his glare with one of calm and assuredness and nodded her head. “Yes brother, we need to find him and be off by the rising of the dark moon. The gods have willed it.”

“You know sister, sometimes I wonder if you just turn your eyes red and make these stories up to meet your own ends.” His voice grated.

“Brother, never doubt the gods.” Her husky voice cautioned. “They have always worked through me, you know that. Now, when shall we leave for The Hallows?” she asked, ending the current direction of the conversation.

Julian’s eyes darted daggers at her. “I think I should like to do this alone if you don’t mind, sister.” He spoke somewhat contemptible. She stared at him calmly for a minute, seemingly unaffected by his tone, and then bowed her head in acceptance.

“If you wish brother, I will remain behind. But tread carefully. From what father has said, this is no one to trifle with.” She warned.

Julian kept thinking that conversation the entire trip to The Hallows. This whole business had started to sour him. The guards, sensing their princes’ mood, hung back a few feet so not to intrude upon his thoughts. Normally an outgoing, friendly traveling companion, he was a different person today, quieter and reserved. The suns warmth did nothing to remove the chill surrounding him. After topping the crest of a small hill, they could see the meager hovels of The Hallows laying below them, about a fifteen-minute ride.

There were peasants working in the fields as they rode by, gathering what they could for their winter stores. Most ignored the prince and his guards, but some looked up and stared with their dirty faces. Suspicion was etched in their faces as they watched them ride by. Julian never looked in their direction or acknowledged them. Reaching the edge of the buildings, they stopped and dismounted, tying up their horses to some branches that hung from an elm tree.

Julian looked around wondering where this Shagrim would be. The hovels of the village were made of rotting wood patched with mud. Sheep and goats wandered along the dirt path that wound its way through the tiny hamlet. The smell the animals and feces made them gag. He strode over to an old woman carrying a basket of wheat. She stopped and watched him warily as he approached her, ready to bolt at a moments notice. He tried to ease her apprehension with a warm smile that he didn’t feel as he approached.

“Excuse me milady, could you tell me where to find Shagrim?” He asked, trying desperately to sounds more cheerful then he felt.

She gave him a suspicious look then glanced at his companions. “Who wants to know?” she asked. Julian knew he had better be careful here. She was like a rabbit ready to run.

“We wish to talk to him about hiring his services.” He replied, holding her eyes with his, trying to will her into telling him. Her eyes narrowed to slits as she tried to determine whether to believe him or not. They darted between Julian and his guards. She nodded her head and pointed towards the river. “In the last shack down by the river.” She told them then hurried on her way.

Julian tried to get a glimpse of the hovel in the direction she pointed to. Not seeing it, he motioned for the guards to follow him. They walked through the village, the few people they met stared at them, full of distrust. The guard’s hands instinctively rested on the hilts of their swords. A cat startled them as it dashed from a bush where it had been hiding and they had their swords half drawn before they realized there was no real threat. Giving each other a rueful look and taking a deep breath, they re-sheathed their swords and continued on.

Reaching the hovel, Julian stopped and took a glance around. It was away from the other shacks and fairly large. Julian opened the door and peered in. The shack was dimly lit, just a few candles lighting the large room. Once his eyes started to get adjusted to the darkness he noticed an empty bed to the his left with two chairs and a table on his right. Two chests were lined up against the back wall next to a cold fireplace.

“Hello?” Julian called in, looking around. It seemed to be empty. As he started to take a step in side, a man’s voice stopped him.

“You always walk into a strange house uninvited?”

Julian stopped and looked around again quickly, his eyes adjusting to the dim light. The guards looked at each other, becoming even tenser. Something wasn’t right. Julian thought hard and decided that caution was the safest route right now. If Juliana was right, this could turn ugly quickly.

“We are looking for Shagrim sir, could you tell us where he is?” glancing around the shack he still couldn’t see anyone from where he stood in the doorway.

“And why would you want to be looking for him. You have a contract you want filled?” The unknown voice asked curiously.

“I would like to ask if his services are available, yes.” Julian answered back. “Will he be returning soon so that I may speak with him?” His eyes darted nervously around the room, empty, yet someone seemed to be here.

“Maybe he is available, lay your coin on the table first.” The voice instructed. “Then we’ll talk about what you want done.” The voice seemed to be coming from the back corner opposite the bed, though Julian couldn’t be sure.

Julian was getting frustrated with the whole situation as he tried to determine the source of the unknown voice. He let his emotions get the better of him. “Look, I don’t know who you are or where you are, but I need to speak with Shagrim, now. I have a summons from the king,” he said, pulling a piece of parchment out of his belt pack.

A man, taller the Julian, appeared in the back corner, opposite the bed. His long hair was black and stringy. It appeared he wore a dirty brown tunic with dark brown leather pants. His eyes seemed to glow in the faint candlelight. The sword that hung from his belt seemed to sway as he slowly walked towards Julian.

“And why would the king be summoning me?” he asked, a lazy lilt to his voice.

“That is a matter that he wishes to discuss with you in private.” Julian sniffed.

The man looked at Julian then gazed appraisingly at the two guards. Giving them a dismissive wave of a grimy hand, he turned and poked at the dead coals in the fireplace. “Take your summons and go.” He said. “I have no need to see your king and most defiantly won’t answer any summons from him.” he knelt down by the fireplace, making circles in the ash.

Julian could feel his face starting to burn. This is someone who is needed to fight for us? So openly disrespectful of the king like that? He wouldn’t stand for it. He took a step towards him.

“Now see here, you are to go to the king at once”” he started to demand angrily.

Quicker then he had seen anyone move before, the grungy man who was knelt before him dropped the poker, drew his sword and held its tip at his throat. Julian’s eyes had opened wide with shock. The guards had not even enough time to get their hands on their swords. Julian found himself looking directly into those cold charcoal eyes that glowed brighter then before. They appraised him slowly, seemingly making a note of every stitch in his coat. Shagrim glanced back at the guards and gave them a faint sadistic grin.

“So, this is the best Crassious has is it?” he sneered. “It’s a wonder he has held the throne this long.” He looked directly into Julian’s eyes, seemingly searching into his soul. “And you must be the eldest son. I should have figured he would sire a sniffling whelp.”

Julian’s could feel his face growing hotter as Shagrim smirked. “Now little prince let’s understand each other shall we?” Shagrim’s face grew set. “I have no intention on visiting your king. I have no intention of helping your king and if I catch you within the confines of this peaceful little hovel I will split your throat open and pull your lungs out through it. I do hope we understand each other. And if I do decide to go see your king it will be on my terms, not his. Now, run long and go play prince somewhere else.”

He pressed the tip of the sword into Julian’s throat warningly and then withdrew it, holding it easily in his hand. Julian’s body was trembling, almost violently. His hands instinctively went to his throat, searching for blood. The guards were watching Shagrim warily with drawn swords. They glanced anxiously at each other. They were skilled swordsmen but both knew they couldn’t take whoever this was. Julian stood there, unable to move.

The greasy haired man stared at him, relaxed, showing no trace of emotion. “Tell your king next time to come himself if he wants to chat. I’m sure he’d find the smell invigorating.” The man whispered quietly.

Julian glared at him but said nothing. He turned and left, with the guards following him. How he made it through The Hallows to his horse, he wasn’t sure. His legs felt leaden; it was an effort just to get up on the big colt. The guards gave him a worried look as he turned the horse towards home, those glowing eyes still burning into his mind.

****


Crassious sat next to the fireplace later that night, around the dark hour, his left hand absently scratching his foxhound’s head. The gray in his beard illuminated from the glow from the fire. He glanced at the portrait of his dead wife, studying her face. Gods how I wish you was here now, he thought bitterly. Trying to be king and father at the same time isn’t what I was made for. The portrait remained quiet, her smile not reassuring.

He sighed and slumped farther into his chair. The dog whined and butted against his hand because he had stopped scratching. Smiling, he resumed easing the dog’s discomfort. “At least your demands are simple, Brond.” He spoke out loud. He received the expected thumping of the tail in return.

“I always knew you’d resort to talking to animals some day, Crassious.” A long forgotten voice sounded from the dresser by the bed.

Crassious leapt from his chair, startled. Leaned back against the wall stood Shagrim, a small smile tugged at his lips, his black, greasy hair hanging over his shoulders looking like a tangled rats nest.

“By the five hells, how did you get in here?!” Crassious demanded. Neither he nor the foxhound had heard the door open. Brond was on his feet, hackles raised, growling slightly.

“Now if I told you that, you’d make an effort to stop me. Can’t have that, now can we.” Shagrim replied smugly. “Besides, I enjoy having easy access to you, brother.”

“What are you doing here Shagrim? Julian told me you wouldn’t be coming. I would have thought that would have been the end of it.” Crassious’ face was livid.

“What I told him was that I wouldn’t respond to a summons. That I would come to you on my own terms. Well,” Shagrim shrugged, “curiosity got the best of me. I couldn’t help but come and listen to what kind of trouble you had gotten yourself into. So, brother, tell me, just what have you gotten yourself into. Or are you going to stand there glowering at me until I get bored and leave.” His eyes started to glow with eagerness at his brother’s discomfort.

Crassious tore his eyes away from Shagrim. Finally after a few minutes of getting his nerve up he looked at him again. “I need your help.” He whispered harshly, the words almost sticking in his throat.

It wasn’t always this way. There was a time when the king would have just gone off and dealt with the situation on his own. But the duties of the crown weighed heavy on him and decisions, once simple and easy, were more complicated now.

Shagrim grinned broadly. “I’ll bet that hurt to say didn’t it.”

Crassious gave him an angry stare, secretly wishing his brother was dead.

“Just exactly what I am supposed to fix this time?” Shagrim asked curiously.

“Aremen is back.” The king said quietly, his eyes dropping to the blue marble floor. “I need him found…”

“And have him killed.” Shagrim finished. He chuckled and shook his head. “I don’t know Crassious. It seems to me I’ve done this once before.” He stated, leaning casually against the wall. “Besides, you have plenty of soldiers. Send them after him. What is so special about this that you require my help?” His stare made Crassious so uncomfortable that he started to fidget with the hilt of his sword. His brother watched curiously, wondering what had set the king on edge. Shagrim’s eyes narrowed, realizing his brother wasn’t telling him everything.

“Still keeping secrets brother?” He noted in that mocking manner, raising an eyebrow. Crassious walked slowly to the window, a look of defeat in his eyes Shagrim noted. After a few moments it seemed he hand made a decision. The king turned and walked over the round table.

“You know I have three children, one you’ve met.” Crassious sat on the edge of the table looking at his brother. Shagrim nodded, not saying anything, just scrutinizing the king’s face. “Julian has a twin sister, Juliana. She is… shall we say blessed with certain powers. One of those powers is divination. The gods speak through her.” he stopped speaking, waiting for the expected guffaw of disbelief but it didn’t come.

Shagrim’s eyes narrowed until they were barely slits. “She talks to the gods? Is that what you’re trying to tell me Crassious?” He sounded doubtful. “I’ve heard of it happening, but never met anyone who could actually do it. How do you know she’s not speaking gibberish to get you to do what she wants?” The king shook his head and started to pace. Shagrim watched his brother curiously. This was not the brother who had threatened to remove his head years ago.

“She knows things that no one else should know, Shagrim. It’s…hard to explain” The king replied defensively. “And now she has demanded that I retrieve a book also. Some book containing spells of the ancient elves. The ones who were here before the beginning of time. She claims she knows where it is and wants me to find it for her. She is to go with you, brother. Along with her twin, Julian. The gods have demanded it.”

Shagrim barked a laugh. “The gods have demanded it?” He gave his brother an incredulous stare. Crassiuos whipped around and took a couple steps towards him.

“Yes, the gods have demanded it!” he almost shouted. Shagrim leaned back against the wall, his charcoal eyes assessing his brother. He finally shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

“What’s happened to you brother?” He whispered. “You’ve changed. I’ve seen you ride with twenty men against a hundred, without a thought and come out victorious. You used to be the most feared man among the petty kingdoms. Now you kneel to some girl who claims to speak to the gods?” He almost felt pity for his brother, almost. His face hardened.

“No Crassious, I will not play nursemaid to some snot nosed hatchlings whose father has been turned into a hen, cowering on his nest of eggs.” He growled. “If you want Aremen gone, do it yourself. And I absolutely won’t be looking for some book for some pretend witch. Being king has made you soft, weak. You’re an old man now Crassious and I have other things to do.”

Crassious could feel his face getting hot as his brother spoke. His fingers twitched along the hilt of his sword. He watched his brother start to leave. “So you’d rather see everything I’ve built fall?” his voice full of bitterness.

“Whether it stands or falls, it makes no difference to me Crassious. I will continue on no matter what happens to your little kingdom.” Shagrim answered over his shoulder as he reached for the door and opened it. He was startled to see Juliana standing there, her pale blue eyes meeting his. “Uncle, I am glad we could finally meet.” She said with her husky voice. She brushed past him and entered the bedchamber; his charcoal eyes following her every movement. Curiosity got the best of him as he closed the door.

She moved to the center of the room and turned to face him, her face calm. “I understand you have doubts about my abilities.” She whispered. “I have come to answer any questions you have about them”. Shagrim’s eyes narrowed and he walked slowly towards her, his head cocked to one side. He stopped a few feet from her.

“I have many doubts, little girl.” He answered her. He glanced at Crassious who was clearly surprised to see his daughter here. “And I’m sure you have a ready answer for each one of them. So why don’t we skip the obvious lies and go right to the point. I understand you can talk to the gods. Make a prophecy for me. Tell me something that I don’t already know.” His voice grated.

Juliana eyes flashed at him. “It doesn’t work like that uncle. The gods speak through me when they will. I cannot call them.”

“Oh, I’m sure that’s how it works.” Shagrim chuckled. “It’s very convenient when it works that way, isn’t it.” He made a mocking bow at her. “Now if you’ll excuse me niece, I do believe I’ll take my leave. Please feel free to let me know when you have thought of something.” He turned to leave and almost reached the door when her voice carried over to him, a hauntingly hallow sound to it.

“You must find the lost city of the dwarves, assassin. Nissntdra has joined him who would be king there. She awaits you with her bow drawn, her poisoned arrow ready to fly.” He whipped around, a dagger appearing in his hand. He saw her eyes glowing red. His face twisted in anger. Juliana stood and faced him with those red eyes, not flinching.

“By mid-summer if not stopped, she will help the one who would be king retake Shroborn. Her arrow will have found your heart.” Juliana continued. Shagrim gave a bitter laugh. “You’re a bit late for that piece of information. She found it once.” He lowered his dagger appraising the blond headed girl in front of him. He glanced over towards Crassious who gave him an “I told you so” look, then back to his niece.

“Not many knew of me and Nissntdra.” He said softly. “And those that did are dead now.” He walked slowly over to the table and sat, rubbing his chin. He looked at Juliana once more, who was leaning against a chair, a glint of admiration in his eyes. “Tell me girl, what is the name of this book you seek?”

“You wouldn’t have heard of it uncle.” She answered, standing up straight. Shagrim gave her a small smile.

“You’d be surprised of what I’ve heard of, little girl.” He informed her, his face going steely. “Give me the name of the book.”

She met his steady look with a glare, trying to defy him but the glint in his eye told her other wise and rattled her nerves so she relented. “It’s called the Book of Jarantham. Like I said, it would mean nothing to you.” She snapped at him, infuriated that he had loosened her tongue. But Shagrim’s eyes opened wide.

He got up and strode purposely towards her. The look in his eyes startled Juliana and she started to back away but he was too quick for her. He grabbed her by the shoulders and forced her to look at him. His eyes searched hers, probing for answers to unspoken questions. He growled softly and let her go, contempt etched into his face.

“So you think you’re powerful enough to master those spells, do you?” He asked rubbing his thumb along his chin. She didn’t answer him but gave him a defiant look. He gave a heavy sigh and turned towards Crassious.

“Very well brother, I’ll go, but it’s not only to kill Aremen.” He looked back at Juliana, his eyes darken. “I’m afraid I’ll probably end up having to kill her as well.” Crassious gave him a startled look, which Shagrim returned calmly.

“If she isn’t strong enough to handle that book brother, she’ll destroy us all.” He informed the king. “And she will leave to find it, with or without help, so I better be tagging along, just in case.” He turned back to Juliana, who stood there with a small smile on her face looking very pleased with herself.

Oh yes little niece, I will definitely be watching you closely, Shagrim thought to himself. Then he gave himself a small smile that no one could see. This was working out better then he could have hoped for.

****

In a small, cold room with nothing but a bed, a reading table and a small chair, a man sat. Dressed in deep bluish robes, his head deep in the cowls so his face was unseen. He was reading a book, once belonging to the inhabitants of the cave he now dwelled in. It contained many mysteries he wished to have solved. A knock at the flimsy wooden door brought him out of his studies and he raised his hand, opening the door from where he sat.

A messenger, dressed as its master entered, his head bowed. “I have word master, from Shroborn.” He whispered his voice light as air.

“Ah, so our spy has finally made themselves useful then.” The voice was one of an old man, cracked and dry. “What news do they send us?”

“It is as you foretold master, they will search for the book.” The messenger informed him. “They are to leave within five days time.”

“And our spy will be going with them I take it?”

“Yes master, again as you foretold.”

“Good, then things are proceeding as planned.” The master seemed pleased with the information. “Soon I will be in possession of the Book of Jarantham and the world will quake at my coming, for I shall be the most powerful force on the earth. You’ve done well my pet. Go to the stocks and feed.”

The messenger bowed deeply. “Thank you master.” He turned and closed the door behind him. The master removed his cowl, revealing pointed ears poking through wisps of long, dark brown hair and a face scarred beyond recognition.

Soon the world that was lost will be restored, he thought to himself, a sneer forming on his cracked lips. Soon it will be mine again.