- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
JKR owns it all. Thanks to my beta, phoebe.

Petunia sat on the floor of her bedroom she had just received a letter from Albus Dumbledore saying Harry had sacrificed his life in order to kill Voldemort. It was strange, after 18 years, to finally feel some maternal feelings towards her only nephew. She remembered how she and lily used to write notes to each other, back before Hogwarts, before fights, before the mistake that could have saved Harry’s life.

Chapter 1-When they were friends

March
Hey petunia,
Guess what? Rick Adams just asked me out! Can you believe it? Were going to the movies on Saturday!
Love Lilly
xoxox

Lily,
That’s so great! You are SO lucky! He’s just about the hottest guy in year 6! See ya on the bus!
Love Petunia
xxxxx

May
Petunia,
When me and Rick were out skating, Sasha came up to us and was TOTALLY flirting with Rick but he completely ignored her! It was so cool…..
Love lily
xox

Lily,
That’s so cool, but don’t stay out that late again, mum went just about crazy!!
Petunia
xxxxxxxxx

I saw Rick go out of class with Roxanne today, im getting worried……………..
Lily

Its ok, he’s probably just setting her up with one of his footballer friends, don’t worry about it.
Petunia

June
I broke up with rick.
Lily

Good. He deserved it.
Petunia

July
Lily,
Holidays at last.........i bags first dibs on an ice cream.
Petunia
Hahahaha

Grrrrr! Lets go to the pool.
Lily

Dear Miss Evans,
We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizadry. Please find enclosed a list of all the necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1st. We await your owl by no sooner than july 31st.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress.

August
Petunia,
I CANT BELIEVE THIS! I AM A WITCH!
I wonder were your letter is. It must just be caught up in the mail. It will be so much fun!!!!
Love Lily!
xoxoxoxoxxx

Lily,
I know! I am so excited! We are actually going to boarding school together! At least we will, when my letter comes.
Love Petunia!
xxxx

Petunia!
WHERE IS YOUR LETTER?????????????
Don’t worry, I have a plan, you just come with me and we explain that your letter didn’t come in time, and they’ll let you stay!
Lily, xox

Lily,
It’s a good idea but im younger than you so maybe im supposed to go next year. Don’t worry about it.
Petunia.

Petunia,
I cant believe im leaving in about 10 minutes! Im going to miss you all so much! Ill write every day! Oh, God! The trains here. ?
Bye! Love Lily!

Lily.
Don’t leave! Please don’t! Write soon, ill miss you!
Love petunia!
P.S. Im missing you already!



Petunia stared at the letter she’d just read, wishing things could have stayed the way they were. She knew she would wish that until the day that she died.
She opened the box wider and pulled out the next lot of letters.

Dearest Petunia,
I have arrived! Im writing this under my table in the great hall. I was sorted into Gryffindor, our colours are red and gold. They sorted me by putting an old hat on my head and it told me what house I was in. weird, eh?
I’ve met some other people already. Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape and James Potter. Black, Lupin and Potter are in my house as well. Its so strange here. Write back.
Love Lily.

Dear lily,
A hat? That is weird. Nothing much has happened here. Schools boring, mum cried for a while, she’s okay now. I just want to hear all about your lessons and friends.
Petunia.

Petunia,
Everything is so amazing here. The ceilings are enchanted to look like the sky, paintings move, there’s a vanishing step, and a magical forest. People keep on trying to hang out with me but I just want to be with you. Their is one nice girl, Camilla, she says that you sound hilarious and cant wait for you to come next year. Classes here are so much fun! We’ve learnt so much! I can make feathers fly and a pineapple tap dance and I know a blocking spell called Expelliarmus. In Herbology we had to wear ear-muffs as we planted dangerous plants that can kill you if you hear them scream! It was amazing but were moving onto dangerous house plants now. Defence against the dark arts is funny, our teacher can’t remember any of our names, so he always makes up new ones. I have to go do homework now, we get a lot of homework.
Love Lily.

Lily,
Don’t show off just because you’re in a better place than the rest of us. That’s what mum says. I agree with her.
My English teacher likes me, her names Misses Pottwig. She is nice. My maths teacher hates me though. What’s Herbology?
Petunia.

Petunia,
I wasn’t showing off. Herbology is all about plants. Tell mum I’m sorry. Our Defence against the dark arts teacher got sent to the hospital wing this morning. No one nows why. We think he was poisoned.
Love lily.

Lily,
Sounds fishy. Margaret got asked out by Rick yesterday, shes really excited. Think I should tell her about what hes really like?
Petunia.

Petunia,
I’d forgotten completely about Rick. It turns out the D.A.D.A. teacher just ate a wood nymph and got internal bleeding. Tell Margaret about rick, she deserves to know. I transfigured my needle today. Proud of me? In potions the potions master spilt wart potion all over his own lap! Hes got warts everywhere! Hes joined the D.A.D.A. teacher in the hospital wing.
Love Lily.

Petunia,
Did my last letter get to you? You still haven’t written back. Hows Mum and Dad? We learnt about duelling today in D.A.D.A. I ‘killed’ two of my opponents! I got top marks in my Charms test. The finals are coming up so im getting lots of homework. Its hard to keep up.
Love Lily.

Petunia,
Why aren’t you writing to me anymore? Did I do something wrong? I was talking to the herbology teacher about it, she said you might have been caught by a crumpled horn snorkack, they make people forget things.
Lily, xxx

Petunia,
WRITE BACK, PLEASE, I MISS YOU!
Lily

Dear Lily,
Please do not write to me again. I am sick of hearing about your stupid magic school.
Petunia.


Petunia. What has happened?
Lily

Lily,
Nothing has happened. I just see you for what you truly are. An attention seeking brat who wishes no more than to disrespect our family, and show off to me with all your stupid magic tricks.
Well guess what?
ITS NOT WORKING!
I don’t care about your stupid life, your school, your friends, your magic!
I want you to leave my life and never come back.
Petunia.