- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Recipient: toffeeliz
Title: Second Chances
Author: leandra713
Rating: Teen
Warnings: None
Summary: An accident in detention brings unexpected results.
Original Prompt: I chose prompt #1. POST-CANON Hugo and/or Rose do magic with an artifact they find in their uncle's potion classroom, Professor George Weasley, who works now as potions Professor, and accidently fetch Snape back from the dead. Whether he is fully alive or not is up to the writer, but Hermione as her position in the Department for Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, comes in to try and resolve the problem. Ron is up to you.
Author's Notes: Thanks for a great prompt-I hope you enjoy the story. My thanks to my long-suffering beta who reviewed several drafts, and listened to my moans and groans when my characters refused to cooperate.    


Chapter 1

"Oh good, he's not here yet. I'd hate to get another detention for being late." The auburn-haired girl frowned at her companion. "It's your fault. If you hadn't-"

"Shut up, Rose." Al cut off his cousin's tirade before it could begin. The empty classroom was dim and cool and their voices echoed off the stone walls. 

Rose flounced over to her desk and dropped her book bag down. "I wonder what Uncle George will make us do. Probably test some nasty new products for the store." She shuddered. Rose loved Uncle George, but she wasn't sure he was the best Potions instructor. He'd just as soon goof off with the class as teach the lesson. 

Al thought that testing new potions and products for Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes with Uncle George was fun, but he wisely held his tongue. When Rose was in this big of a snit the most prudent course of action was to wait it out. Let her get a full of head of steam and she'd become piercingly shrill before you could say "Voldemort is a steaming pile of dung."

While Rose pulled out her potion's text and began to study, Al pushed his glasses back up on his nose and wandered into the storeroom; Uncle George never locked it. Al was fascinated by the jars and bottles that crowded the shelves. The room held all myriad of creepy things: pickled insects and animals, musty herbs and unlabeled potions. If it weren't for the brightly colored WWW boxes that adorned the lower shelves, one would suspect that nothing had been moved in centuries. But he hadn't come in here to play with those; this was the perfect opportunity to examine the jar that had captured his attention when he'd entered the storeroom during his first potions lesson. The green-gold crystals that filled the jar drew his eye every time he entered the room. Perched precariously at the edge of the second shelf from the top, the jar was not quite as dusty as its neighbors. Today, weak strands of sunlight lit the jar, making its sandy contents sparkle. Al dragged a rolling ladder around the room and climbed up to take a closer look. The higher he climbed the brighter the glinting grains of sand seemed to glow. He stretched out his hand, and the jar vibrated as if in anticipation of his touch. A low, steady hum filled the room. 

"Al, don't touch it!" Rose stood in the doorway her book dangling from one hand and her wand drawn. "Come down at once."

The dark-haired boy's hand brushed the jar and it jumped violently. He backed down a few steps and pulled his hand away. 

"It's never done that before," he said, staring at the glowing jar. 

"And that's why you shouldn't touch it," Rose snapped impatiently. "We don't know what it is." She looked around nervously. She wished Uncle George would hurry. The Potions storeroom seemed even darker and gloomier than ever in the glow of the greenish halo surrounding bottle. "Come on, get down. It could be dangerous."

Al hovered on the ladder, indecision evident in his face. Something about the jar and its contents called to him. He wanted to know what it was and why it was behaving this way. His mother always told him never to trust strange magic, but he really wanted to know what this was and why it was behaving this way. Surely no harm could come from taking it down-"

"Al!"

Rose's frightened scream startled him. He clutched at the ladder to regain his footing. The green light was growing stronger and stronger and the strange humming noise grew louder and higher in pitch. Suddenly scared, Al scrambled down the ladder.

Rose threw a quick look towards the classroom door, hoping desperately to see it opening, but there was still no sign of her Potions professor. She squared her shoulders. ‘Mum faced downed a troll ... and a werewolf ... and Bellatrix Lestrange,' she told herself. It was clear that Uncle George wasn't going to get here in time. ‘Alright, it's to me then.'

Pushing Al behind her, Rose drew herself up straight and pointed her wand at the jar. Quickly flicking in a pattern that Al didn't recognize, she chanted, "Specialis Revelio!"

The spell seemed to have no effect and Rose was comforted. It wasn't dark magic. But that didn't mean it wasn't dangerous-only that it wasn't evil. She gripped her wand tighter and stepped closer. Raising her wand again, she said, "Indicavi Veratis"

The jar wobbled and shook, rocking back and forth and teetering treacherously close to the edge. The jar stretched and pulled from around its middle, inflating like a balloon and straining against the metal band of its screw top.

"What did you do?" Al accused Rose. The humming grew ever louder and shriller as the jar continued to expand. "Get back, Rose! Get back! It's going to blow!"

Rose stumbled back, almost blinded by the bright, golden-green glow. She clasped her hands over her ears to shut out the piercing noise.

"Rose! Get back!" Al shouted again. Protego!

He dragged her out of the storeroom and back into the classroom, knocking her wand from her hand as the jar exploded in a glittering cloud of glass dust. Glass fragments rained down, while the cloud grew and grew, confined only by the storeroom's walls and Al's Shield Charm. Suddenly an unseen force pulled at the cloud and it began to spin slowly around an invisible pole. They stared in dread and fascination as the dust cloud flattened into a disk, spinning faster and faster as it gained momentum. Soon a shadow seemed to be emerging from the center of the sparkling whirlwind. The shadow grew more and more solid until a distinct outline took shape. Swirling green crystals filled outline, resolving it into a three-dimensional silhouette.

"It's a man," Rose whispered, clutching at Al. "Come on, let's go."

The figure shook its head, sending sparkles of green dust floating across the room. It slowly turned around to face the children. Dark eyes glared blearily at the intruders in his domain.

"Potter!" it snarled. "What have you done? Why are you in my classroom?" He focused his sharpening glare on Rose. "And who are you?" 

"What are you?" challenged Rose bravely. She stared at the naked figure before her, curiosity warring with fear. Stringy black hair framed a long, thin face-a face that was scowling terribly at her at the moment. The body was lean and spare and Rose eyed its genitalia with interest. They were far more impressive than her little brother's. But ... 

"How do you know his name?" she accused. "What are you?"

The man suddenly seemed to realize that he was naked and wandless. "What have done with my clothes? My wand?" He glared the children. "Fifty points from Gryffindor," he barked, barely glancing at Al. His eyes narrowed as he saw Rose's blue and silver tie. She would be the one with the cunning to disarm him. "One hundred points from Ravenclaw." 

The dark figure quickly assessed the situation. They must have stunned him and then disrobed him. That was why he couldn't remember what had happened. His cheeks burned, and he vowed that this would be Harry Potter's last day at Hogwarts-he would be as safe moldering away at Grimmauld Place as he was here. As his vision began to clear, he saw that the classroom they were in was at once familiar and strangely foreign. The architecture and furniture were as they should be, but the inkstand on the desk was not his, nor was the handwriting on the blackboard. And there was a mistake in the fourth line of the instructions. It was his Potions classroom and yet something was off. Something more malicious than naughty children was at work here.

"Rose," whispered Al urgently, keeping his eye on the angry wizard. "I know who this is ... it's Headmaster Snape." 

"Don't be silly, Al. Snape died before we were born." Rose backed up cautiously, tugging on Al's robes. If they could just make it to the door ...

"It is," Al insisted, but he let Rose maneuver him backwards. Whatever could make a dead wizard appear out of nowhere was not everyday magic.

The wizard suddenly turned back to the children, masking his confusion with anger. The dark-haired one certainly looked like Harry Potter. He had Lily's green eyes and Potter's hair and build, but he appeared to be much younger than Harry. He didn't recognize the auburn-haired girl. His eyes flicked back and forth between the children. With a barely noticeable gesture, he summoned the girl's wand from the floor and pointed it at them menacingly. "Now, tell me what you have done with my belongings or I will personally see the two of you on the first train out of Hogsmeade."

"What is going on in here? I heard shouting. Rose Elizabeth ... Albus Sev-" Professor George Weasley stopped in his tracks, letting the classroom door swing on its hinges, stunned at the sight of a naked man holding his niece and nephew at wand point. He walked down the steps cautiously, his wand outstretched. "Who are you? Get away from the children!"

Rose's wand never wavered as the man in the storeroom doorway sized up his new adversary. 

"Weasley?" he guessed. The shock of red hair covering the wizard's head was sufficient evidence, although he could not name this particular Weasley. Something was definitely amiss, but he would soon get to the bottom of it.

George stared at the other wizard in disbelief. "Snape! Holy howling harpies! But it can't be ... Severus Snape?"

"You know my name," Severus sneered. "Now tell me who you are and what you are doing in my classroom. Why have Potter and his companion stripped me of my clothing and my wand? I DEMAND TO KNOW WHAT TRICK THIS IS!" he shouted, his face contorting into a frightening grimace. Sparks flew from Rose's wand as his emotions surged.

"Steady on," George said warningly. "No one needs to get hurt." He continued forward, moving to shield his niece and nephew.

Rose glanced at Al. Her fingers twitched when she saw his wand sticking out of his back pocket. Holding her breath and praying that the angry wizard wouldn't notice, she carefully drew the wand with one hand and clamped down hard on Al's arm with the other to keep him still. "Stupefy!"

The dark-haired wizard slumped to the ground. Leaping forward, George bound him in ropes and then dropped his teaching robes over the naked form. He turned to the children.

"Now, will someone tell me what the heck is going on? How in holy hell did Severus Snape suddenly appear at Hogwarts? He's been dead for 20 years. What spell is this? Is this a ghost or a poltergeist? It's not possible-"

"Well, you see-"

"It was glowing-" 

"No, wait ..." George held up his hands as Rose and Al both started talking at the same time. "On second thought ..." He strode over to his desk and tapped a small gargoyle. "Headmistress, there's been a disturbance in the Potions classroom. Come quickly." 

"We'll wait for Minerva to sort this out," he said, shaking his head in disbelief as he stared at the still figure on the floor. He nudged the man's hip with his toe, feeling solid flesh. "Certainly looks like Snape." 

He picked up Rose's wand and handed it to her. "Nice wand-work." He grinned, blue eyes sparking with humor. "But if that thing ... if that thing really is Severus Snape, you'd better watch out, Rosie-girl. He's going to be livid when he wakes up."