- Text Size +


Chapter 11

Lev wandered around Jerusalem for hours before he finally stopped at Jon's. When he left Bill it was still dusk, and Lev did not want to interrupt Jon's dinner, especially looking angry and disheveled. So he walked around, getting reacquainted with the parts of the city he used to know so well - Ba'ka, the Germany Colony, Talpiyot, Katamon, Rehavia, and the center of town.

He worried for a second that Bill would not be able to get back to the hotel, but then he remembered Bill could apparate. Getting around the city was not a problem.

As the sky darkened, Lev reflected on how safe he felt. Anywhere else in the world he was always a bit cautious walking around alone at night. But in Jerusalem, even as late as two or three in the morning, he felt completely safe, even if the only other living beings he could see were the stray cats ubiquitous to Israel.

Finally Lev felt it was late enough that he could go to Jon's apartment and not worry about disturbing the meal. He knocked on the door.

Jon answered with a surprised smile.

"Hello," he said, "What are you doing here?"

"I hate to ask this, but can I crash on your couch for the night?" said Lev.

Jon immediately shepherded him in the door. "It's no problem. Eli's already asleep. This will be quite a surprise for him tomorrow morning."

"Will your wife mind?" asked Lev.

Jon laughed. "Our shul's Sisterhood had a retreat this weekend at a kibbutz up north. She ended up going at the last minute."

"Jon, is she ever here for Shabbat?"

"Yes. But this month has been busy. You're lucky you came this week while I was here."

Lev smiled sardonically and headed toward the sofa.

"You're not taking the couch," said Jon, "You'll take the guest room."

"Thank you, Jon."

Lev sat on the couch. Jon brought over some cookies and joined him.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened?"

"We had a fight, a big one. I threw the keys at him."

"Ah," said Jon.

"Can I ask..." began Jon.

"No," said Lev, "It's been a long week, and it's my fault."

Jon said nothing.

"He asked why I never showed him the Old City."

Jon sucked in air through his teeth. "That's probably my fault. Sorry about that. That was really the wrong question," he said. "Lev, why didn't you tell him?"

"I couldn't. It led to a huge fight. We rarely fought when we were together. It just seemed like there was no tension. I don't know. I've had so many flings, why was this one different? And why am I being punished for a real relationship by having it haunt me? It was special. I would have liked to have kept my happy, untarnished memories happy and untarnished."

"Maybe you're not being punished," said Jon.

Lev shrugged. "So are you going to tell me that I'm an idiot? Go ahead. I made a mess of it all and hurt us both. I'm heartless, I deserve no sympathy or compassion."

"Sometimes when people deserve sympathy and compassion least is when they need it the most," said Jon.

Lev smiled. He wiped a couple tears from his eyes.

"So is Bill still planning on coming tomorrow?" Jon asked. "Either way will be fine by me. It would just us four."

"I told him to come," said Lev, "He needs to bring the keys so I can get to my backpack and check out on Sunday."

"Lev, don't worry. Everything's going to be alright," said Jon, "I promise. Sometimes it just takes a little longer."

"It's never easy," sighed Lev.

"I better get to sleep," said Jon, "I have to get up early tomorrow. I'm reading Torah."

"Do you know it yet?" asked Lev.

"Of course not," said Jon grinning, "I'll look it over tonight and then a few time tomorrow. I'll be fine. I think I've read this portion before. What week is it again?" He left the room.

Lev shook his head. Then he got up and headed for the guestroom. That night he dreamt that he and Bill found their happy ending.