- Text Size +


Chapter 14

Lev tried to pay attention to Eli, but knowing Jon was talking to Bill really bothered him. Jon shouldn't be talking to Bill, I should be talking to Bill, he thoughtThe realization pained him.

"Lev, Lev, are you listening to me?" said Eli.

"Of course I am," said Lev, hoping that Eli was not planning to ask him any more questions.

"Who's your favorite?" asked Eli.

"Um... you are," said Lev.

"No," scowled Eli, "Who's your favorite Winnie the Pooh character?"

"Um... Eeyore?" said Lev, remembering that Eli liked Eeyore.

"Mine too," said Eli cheerfully. Then he looked up at Lev. "Are you and Bill married?"

Lev was taken aback. "No. Why do you ask?"

"You act like you're married," said Eli.

Lev felt himself turn red. "No, Eli, we're not." He stuck out his hand. "See, no wedding ring on my finger."

"Oh," said Eli, "Why aren't you married?"

About ten answers came to Lev at that particular moment and none of them suitable to give to a child.

"Do you know any boys who are married to boys?" said Lev at last.

"Yes," said Eli immediately.

"Who?" asked Lev.

"Yitzhak and Daniel," said Eli.

"Eli, who are they?"

"Sarah's dads."

"Of course they are," said Lev. He decided not to press the matter further.

"You never answered," demanded Eli, "Why aren't you and Bill married?"

"Meepnay sheh'Ani Hamor," Lev responded.

"You're not a donkey," said Eli, "You're nice."

"Some people think I act like a donkey," Lev smiled.

"Well, then don't act like one," said Eli.

Lev did not speak for a little while. That may be the best advice I've ever gotten, he thought.

"Eli, would you come to our wedding," he joked.

"Yes," said Eli. He did not even look up from his toys. The question was too mundane for him.

Lev shook his head and watched Eli play.

~*~*~*~*~*~

When Lev heard the door open, he was surprised and disappointed to see Jon walk in alone. He left Eli in his room, blissfully lost in his imaginary world.

"Where's Bill?" Lev asked, afraid he had already gone back to Cairo.

"He went to the Tayelet," said Jon.

"Did you tell him everything?" said Lev.

"Just what I knew," said Jon, "Are you angry?"

"No," said Lev, "I don't have the strength to be angry. I guess he had to find out somehow. Maybe thinking I'm a lunatic will make this disaster easier for him to digest."

"I don't think you're a lunatic," said Jon, "And I was there."

"Thank you," said Lev. "Who are Yitzhak, Daniel, and Sarah?"

Jon gave him a funny look and laughed. "Who told you about them?"

"Eli did."

"Daniel is my cousin," said Jon, "Yitzhak is his partner. Sarah is their adopted daughter. My family flew to New York about three months ago for their wedding. Lovely affair. Very good food. Eli and Sarah are about the same age."

"Oh," said Lev, "You never mentioned them before."

"They're older than us. They've been together for years. Why did Eli tell you about them?"

"Eli asked if Bill and I were getting married. I asked him if he knew any boys who married boys."

"That's my Eli," said Jon, "No hesitation to ask questions, no matter how uncomfortable they may be. He'll be a good Israeli."

Lev stared into space.

"Penny for your thoughts," said Jon.

"It must be nice to wake up next to someone you know so well. And someone who knows you," said Lev.

"There's an advantage or two," said Jon.

"Where did I go wrong, Jon? It seems like I only get something when I can't handle it."

"The best laid schemes of mice and men," said Jon.

"So what do I do?" asked Lev.

"I don't know, wish I did," said Jon. "Roll with the punches, I guess."

Lev got up. "I'll be back," he said, "I need to think."

Jon nodded and checked on Eli as the front door closed.