- Text Size +


Chapter 4

The next morning, neither one spoke about the previous night's incident, though the tension remained. Eye contact and conversation were kept to a minimum. Bill dressed himself in the clothes he wore the day before, but waved his wand and changed it into a new outfit. Lev had to chuckle wondering how the more observant people in the country would feel about magic usage on the Sabbath.

It was late morning by the time both of them were ready to leave the hotel.

"Where are we going?" Bill asked.

"Ba'ka," said Lev, "my neighborhood when I lived here."

"Is it far?" Bill asked.

"Not particularly," said Lev. "Though I think we can walk to pretty much anywhere in the city if we so choose."

"Well you know the way, so I'll follow you," Bill said, smiling.

Lev put his arm around Bill's shoulder and they left the room together, the previous night's tension forgotten.

They walked through the center of town and down King David Street. As they walked onto Emek Refa'im, Bill grabbed Lev by the wrist and stopped walking. Lev, feeling a bit started, prepared himself for another confrontation, but Bill let go and took out his wallet. He opened it up, removed a picture, and put it in Lev's hand.

"Here," he said, "Mum wants you to have this. I do too."

It was a picture of the entire Weasley family. But in addition to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and their seven children, there was also Harry Potter (Ginny's boyfriend), Hermione Granger (Ron's girlfriend), Penelope Clearwater (Percy's girlfriend), and Lev. Everyone in the picture waved and walked around, except Lev, who stood perfectly still, save for the occasional uncomfortable shifting of his weight from leg to leg.

"What's wrong with me?" Lev said, "My image isn't moving."

Bill grinned. "It's because you're a Muggle. He hasn't figured out yet that he can move."

Seeing a distraught look on Lev's face, he quickly added, "Don't worry, it's just a photo. He'll learn eventually."

"Thank you," said Lev, "For the photo. I've missed your family. They were always so nice to me."

"Mum blames me for the break-up," said Bill as they walked down Emek Refa'im.

"Didn't you tell her it was all my fault?" said Lev.

"I tried. She doesn't believe me," Bill said, "She misses you. I... I know she does."

Lev smiled, but there was only sadness behind the smile. They continued walking silently, passing shops, restaurants, cafes, and markets. All were closed. Lev turned onto a little path that Bill would have completely missed. They walked over train tracks and onto a small side street lined with Jerusalem stone houses. Lev pointed to a building.

"There," he said, "That's where I lived."

"It's a lovely building," said Bill.

"Yeah," replied Lev dreamily, he hadn't heard Bill.

They walked down some other roads. Lev led the way. They came across a crowd of people leaving a small building. ("They just finished praying," Lev whispered.)

They were about to walk away when Lev turned around and peered into the crowd. He gasped slightly. "Jon?" he murmured, then he called out loudly, "Jon!"

A man turned around. He did a double take, waved hard, and then jogged over to Lev and Bill. Tagging along was a boy of about four or five. Lev walked forward and hugged the man. The little boy clung to Jon's leg.

"Are you Eli?" Lev asked. The boy nodded and hid his face.

Lev motioned for Bill to come over.

"Bill," Lev said, "This is my friend Jon, my college roommate. We shared that apartment I just showed you. This is his son, Eli, whom I haven't seen since he was a baby. Jon, Eli, this is my good friend, Bill."

Bill shook hands with Jon. Eli was shy and content to remain hidden behind his father's leg.

"What are you two doing for Shabbos lunch?" Jon asked.

"Scrounge something, I guess," said Lev.

"No you won't. Come to my apartment," said Jon, "I'm hosting a big meal. Two more people won't make a difference, and we have to catch up, Lev. I haven't heard from you recently."

Lev blushed. "Things have been a bit, um, odd. But thank you for the invitation. Will your wife mind?"

"She's out of town until tomorrow. Well, come on," said Jon, walking away.

Lev started to follow, but he turned his head and saw Bill standing still, looking as scared as Eli. Lev walked toward him.

"It's okay," he said, "Mooching meals off people is common here. They don't want anyone to go hungry."

"I don't exactly fit in," said Bill.

"I'm a Muggle and your family is all wizards. I survived. You'll be okay," said Lev. "Besides, I'll be here." He grabbed Bill's hand and squeezed it for encouragement. He did not let go until several blocks later.