- Text Size +



"Fallen"


Chapter 11 - Whisper


Don't turn away
Don't try to hide
Don't close your eyes
Don't turn out the light...

~ "Whisper" by Evanescence





When the Daily Prophet arrived during breakfast on Monday, the buzz began. Everyone was openly wondering what Harry Potter's big announcement that evening would be. I was worried about the entire situation. I knew in my heart that even though Severus' name had been cleared, there were still people out there who wouldn't be thrilled about him being alive.

While making my way to the dungeons for my first class, I couldn't help thinking about the entire situation. 

I just don't understand why they want to make such a production out of it... and out in the middle of Hogsmeade. It's just not safe... I know he wants to simply make one statement, but this is just insane. Of course I'll support him, but...

With my thoughts lingering on Severus Snape, I could feel some of my anxiety start to fade. I knew at that moment he was more than likely still stretched out on my sofa, enjoying the paper and his coffee. 

I wish I could have stayed there with him, but at least I'll be busy all day instead of wallowing in the stress of what's to come tonight.

As much as I had wanted the day to pass quickly, it was anything but. Throughout the entire day the ball of nerves I had developed in my stomach only grew exponentially. I was at the end of my rope by the time my last class was drawing to a close. My fifth-year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs thankfully behaved themselves, so when class had officially concluded, they were ready to leave without incident.

I rushed to my quarters and found Severus standing in front of one of my bookshelves in the living room.

"How was your day?" he asked.

I wanted to shout at him that his big plans had made me a nervous wreck. But in that same moment I was dumbfounded by how utterly domestic he sounded.

I could get used to this...

"Honestly, I've been worried all day about what you're about to do."

He walked over to me and held his arms out. I rushed into them, and as he held me tight, I began to unload all my thoughts into the fabric of his shirt.

"I feel like you're needlessly putting yourself into danger out there. I just found you, and now you and Harry are using this opportunity as some Wizarding sting operation. I hate the fact that you're going to be bait!"

"Hermione, shhhhh," he said soothingly as he stroked my back. "We've got to try to catch Lestrange. You and I would never be safe with him on the loose. I know that with as much as Potter boasted that everyone should be there, Rodolphus won't be able to resist the temptation. Plus, I think I've proven my abilities to be able survive time and time again-I'll be fine."

"But... but what if-"

"We've got our whole lives ahead of us. This is the final hurdle; you need to understand that I need to take care of this. After everyone knows that I'm alive, that you're the reason I'm breathing, and Lestrange is behind bars where he should be, we'll be free to do as we please. I don't want to feel like I need to look over my shoulder constantly. I want to be truly free; can't you see that?"

I understand... I still think you're being careless 

I took a deep breath in an attempt to calm down.

I leaned away from his chest to look up into his eyes and said, "Okay, let's just go get this over with. The sooner it's done, the better I'll feel."

He gave me a small smile in response and leaned down to press his lips to mine. 

"Shall we?" 

I nodded, and we headed towards the fireplace to Floo-call to our destination.




After arriving in the Shrieking Shack, I walked towards a window that faced Hogsmeade. 

"Dear Merlin, that's a lot of people."

Severus walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Excellent."

"How will they be able to protect you?" I said quietly.

"It is what they do for a living, Hermione. Have faith."

We Disillusioned ourselves and made our way across the shack's property towards the raised platform that had been created for the occasion.

Harry was standing at the base of the steps that lead towards the podium. He was animatedly speaking to a small group of people, presumably killing time until the guest of honor arrived. I made to move towards Harry, but Severus grabbed my arm to halt my progress.

"Hermione," he whispered. "Please don't lose your cover. I'd like to know that you're safely hidden in the crowd in case things get out of hand."

"Fine. I'm going to stand close by, though, just in case..."

I found a safe place to watch the proceedings off towards the side of the platform. I had an unobstructed view of both the podium and the spectators, so I settled in.

I really, really hope this isn't the disaster that I think it's going to be.

At five o'clock exactly Harry walked up the few steps leading to the podium and cast Sonorus

"Thank you, everyone, for coming out tonight. I'm sure you'll be glad that you did. The purpose of tonight's gathering is to bring out in the open a new development regarding Severus Snape."

There was a collective gasp from the crowd, but Harry pressed on.

"It has come to my attention that he is, in fact, still alive."

"Mr. Potter! How do you know this?" Rita Skeeter called from the base of the platform with her Quick-Quotes Quill floating precariously in front of her. Standing next to her was a young man holding a camera and snapping away wildly.

That must be Dennis. How wonderful that he honored his brother's memory by taking up Collin's love of photography...

"I was hoping you'd ask that, Rita," Harry said with a charming smile. "I'll just let him explain it for himself. May I proudly present Mr. Severus Snape."

Severus dropped his Disillusionment Charm, and the majority of onlookers began shouting questions at him all once, but he remained stoic. He nodded slightly at Harry and stepped up to the podium.

As soon as it looked like he would speak, the crowd quieted instantly. 

"Obviously, the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated," he said with a smirk. "I needed to take the opportunity to inform the entire Wizarding world of this fact. I will now take a moment to answer any questions you may have. Please, one at a time."

Once again Rita Skeeter had a jump on her contemporaries and shouted out, "Mr. Snape, how did you survive?"

"I have spent the last six years in a coma, which was the result of specific potion I had consumed before the final battle. Upon the start of term at Hogwarts, the new Potions professor uncovered my old journal. In my writings, I had mentioned the precautionary measures I was taking to avoid death, and she was able to locate me and subsequently free me from the curse."

Luna Lovegood raised her hand and said, "Was that Hermione Granger, Professor?"

"Yes, Miss Lovegood, Professor Granger resolved my situation. I owe her the utmost respect."

"Is there a history there, Mr. Snape?" an unknown member of the audience called out.

"I will not turn my dealings with Professor Granger into some sort of convoluted conspiracy. While she was still a student, our relationship was strictly professional. Anyone who would like to claim otherwise will have to seriously consider who they are making these allegations against," Severus said in his strictest, most threatening tone.

Thank goodness he's addressing this now.

While the crowd digested the underlying threat in Severus' last statement, there was a lull in the question and answer session. My gaze fell on Harry, who was standing at the edge of the platform, looking agitated. In order to keep things moving, he called out, "What are your plans now?" 

"I'm looking forward to enjoying the freedom that comes with not being a spy in the midst of a war."

With this statement, there was a strangled cry from the opposite side of the crowd. A bright green stream of light was barreling towards Severus, while absolute chaos broke out amongst the masses. I was absolutely horrified and could only watch as Severus quickly dodged the offending curse and Aurors converged on the space where the light had come from.

While the Aurors wrestled Rodolphus Lestrange to the ground, and most of the audience members fled the scene, I noticed something unsettling near the edge of the platform where Severus was standing. 

Dennis Creevy stood completely still, staring at Severus, while everyone around him was screaming, ducking to the ground or Djsapparating. When he threw his camera to the ground, and pulled out his wand, I knew I needed to do something, anything to stop what was surely going to happen.

"No... NO, DENNIS, NO!" I screamed and dropped my Disillusionment Charm while running towards the platform.

I jumped up onto the platform and launched myself straight at Severus just before the stream of light could hit him. We hit the wooden surface with a loud bang, and Severus rolled me off of him and cradled me in his arms.

The pain emanating from my right side was excruciating, but I couldn't form the words to tell him what hurt. I glanced down at my side and watched as the blood began to saturate my top.

"I'm... sorry..." I croaked while looking up into his sad eyes.

He yanked up my shirt to look at the damage.

"NO! Hermione, you're not going anywhere," he said in a panic as he began to wave his wand over my abdomen.

I drifted in and out of consciousness as I listened to him chanting. 

"You've got to stay with me, Hermione! I just found you, damn it! Don't-"

And then everything went black.




I awoke in Severus' infirmary room. The room was dark aside from the single candle's flame on the bedside table. I looked towards Severus, who was sitting in the bedside armchair. He looked like he was lightly dozing until I adjusted my position on the bed.

"Hermione?" he said has he jerked upright. "Thank Merlin."

"Thank you, Severus," I said softly.

He reached forward to clasp my hand and brought it to his mouth to brush his lips against my knuckles. Then I turned my hand and held it against his cheek, feeling the stubble growing there.

"You scared the hell out of me."

"I'm sorry... it's just, Dennis... Did they arrest him too?"

"Yes, he gladly went with the Aurors. Apparently, he held me personally responsible for the death of his brother."

"I hope he didn't give anyone else any ideas... Severus, I'm so sorry for putting myself in danger, which is the one thing you didn't want. But I just brought you back to life; I didn't want anything to happen to you."

"Don't apologize, Hermione. I'm in your debt for saving me, again."

"I don't want you to worry about any of that. It's not in my nature to hang that stuff over anyone's head. How long have I been out of it?"

"A little over twenty-four hours."

"WHAT?!"

"Shhhh, don't get yourself worked up."

"But what about my classes?"

He chuckled lightly and said, "Your lesson plans were easy enough to follow. You're still exceptionally meticulous."

"Did they pass out when you strolled in?"

"I'm sure they'll be happy when you're well enough to return."

"I feel fine."

"You'll stay put until Poppy releases you."

"Yes, dear."

"Hermione, I need to talk to you about something serious, if you're up to it."

My insides went cold in a flash. 

Oh, God, no... Is he going to break it off with me already?

Since I was getting so upset I didn't trust my voice. I could only nod, indicating that he should continue.

"I know we never had the chance to discuss future plans... and I appreciate everything you've done for me. You're an amazing woman, and I've been blessed by whatever deity deigned to bring you into my life..."

Shite... shite... shite...

He took a deep breath and continued on, "You've taken care of me, let me sleep on your couch when I had nowhere to go and risked your own life to protect me. In that moment when you were bleeding out in my arms, I realized that I needed you to know how I feel."

He stopped abruptly and reached up to remove my hand from his face. After setting it gently back on the bed he knelt at my side.

"I don't want to rush you, and we can take as long as you need to make this final step. But I just need you to know that I'm committed to you."

I stared at him, dumbfounded. Finally, I said "Severus, what are you trying to say? What final step?"

"The Ministry replaced the contents of my Gringotts vault this morning. So, after I finished teaching and checking in on you, I left the castle for a few hours..."

He reached into the pocket of his pants and produced a small box, which he opened for me.

In the flickering light of my bedside candle I gazed upon a small diamond ring with sapphires on either side.

"I... like I said, I don't want to rush to the Ministry tomorrow, but I need you to know I'm serious. Someday, Hermione, will you marry me?"

The moisture gathered in my eyes and began spilling down my cheeks. 

"Yes, absolutely!" I cried out.

The grin that spread across his face was breathtaking. He quickly removed the ring from the box and slipped it onto my finger.

"I'm looking forward to someday," he said, admiring his ring on my hand.

I sat up and reached my arms out to him, encouraging him to get off the floor. 

He stood quickly and sat on the edge of the bed while wrapping me in the strength of his loving embrace. When his lips touched mine, sealing our commitment to each other with a kiss, I felt the butterflies in my stomach take flight. 

I pulled away from him slightly to look into his eyes and quietly said, "Me too."


~ The End ~